Time to get new ones

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kent456

Reaction score
Really need some suggestions/advice on changing shocks/coils on my kj 2002. Has been running 'alright' all these years with the oem stock ones and has never been changed. Don't need to lift them or anything and not trying to make it like brand new but just something to make the ride feel a little something similar to what it used to be.

So, any advice would help on what all things I should 'definitely' be getting - Shocks or Coils or Strut assembly?

Suggestions on good makes would also definitely help - Rancho, skyjacker, bilstein? Any other good ones out there but affordable?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
You'll need both springs and shocks
More affordable kit is the Ironman, rides good, comes with both springs and shocks for all 4 corners . Just installing it will give you some lift over new stock height but only about 2-2.25 inches. Ride will be better than new and also better than what just stock springs would be
Next step up would be OME
both can be bought through jeepinbyal
IMO Skyjacker , Rustys, RRO, and of course spacer lifts are not to be even considered

Cherrie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you don't want to lift it don't cave to the lift it is better crowd.
Sounds like you could use all new springs and shocks. Dealer has stock parts, or you can do aftermarket but stock replacement. JBA has the best web site for looking up what's out there. If the still offer a payment plan that good help you out too. When you ask this type of question you'll get those that want you only to use x not xx. But it's yours do what you want and what you can afford.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
No "lift crowd " only providing what would be the best bet for the money
You'll spend as much for stock parts as you do for " upgraded suspension " with much better ride and handling overall.

Armysniper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To get a better ride, you need to get springs with better spring rate than oem. And with that said shock as well. Is not about lifting or not, but to get the quality ride that he's looking for. Ironman will do it and only a few inches of lift........

95whtzr2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'll need both springs and shocks
More affordable kit is the Ironman, rides good, comes with both springs and shocks for all 4 corners . Just installing it will give you some lift over new stock height but only about 2-2.25 inches. Ride will be better than new and also better than what just stock springs would be
Next step up would be OME
both can be bought through jeepinbyal
IMO Skyjacker , Rustys, RRO, and of course spacer lifts are not to be even considered

Going with the minimal lift should you still get the jba control arms, or will the stockers work?

Armysniper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The stocks will work!!! The uca's from JBA are better because of the angle. But with minimal lift sure.

the_dealer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went with the 927/947 ome coils and bilstein shocks. If you shop around you can get everything for under $600. I will say that the Dakota rear bilstein's are a little too soft for my tastes. Other then that it rides great. You'd be surprised how crapped out your stock gear is.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk