Thumping noise but no vibration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had been aware of the problem before I bought the Jeep but figured it was a flat spot on the tire so it would wear away eventually which it may still be due to the speeds at which the sound is changing. I plan on new tires this summer anyways. Usually depending on the outside temperatures the noise can start at 40mph but diminishes at 65 or 70mph to nothing. If its warmer the noise will start at around 55mph but be gone at 70mph. It's a thumping type noise I thought originally coming from the rear left but coming from the front left I now believe. I thought possible loose lug nut which I found one loose lug nut on the rear left when I torqued, can't be anything related to front drive train due to it being a 2WD Jeep. There is no vibration the wheel does not shake at all at any speed, speed makes the noise go away so this can not be a wheel bearing. Could it be possible that there is a minor flat spot making the noise but not enough to stir up a steering issue (IE Vibration) or could it deal with the front bumper and the inner wheel wells on the front tire since they're both loose and possibly flapping? Input very welcome.