Thoughts on this Libby

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

southernwake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was driving around with the wife Saturday evening and we were looking around at some used car places just looking around to see what was near us. Came across a 2006 Liberty Renegade that was lifted. The fender flares, bumpers and lower panels have all been rhino lined. The paint has some minor scratches that you would find on a vehicle this age. The interior is pretty clean, I didnt see any tears in the seats or dirt etc. The place was closed so I emailed them and texted the guy yesterday some.

It has 117,*** miles. I asked who made the lift he said he didnt know but it was done right ( but we all know how that goes). He had no record of maintenance, so it could all be done and up to date or a ticking time bomb. Judging by how clean it is, I would guess its been well maintained but you never know.

Price is $7900. Which I think is on the high and hopeful side. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• jeep libby 1.jpg
    jeep libby 1.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 87
  • jeep libby 5.jpg
    jeep libby 5.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 86
  • jeep libby 6.jpg
    jeep libby 6.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 78
  • jeep libby 3.jpg
    jeep libby 3.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 77
  • jeep libby 4.jpg
    jeep libby 4.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 74

mindbomb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check carfax then have it inspected if salesman won't agree walk away. It might have been heavily off roaded - crawl under see if the skids are damaged. Lower the price by a grand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get some pics of the suspension and post them here. We may be able to ID the lift manufacturer - will certainly be able to see if it is a spacer lift or a spring lift with add-ons.

Bob

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Too much asking price
for miles and condition
Depends on lift but try to get him down a couple of thousand at least even if its a OME setup
Red grill, cheap hot air intake etc brings price down quick

southernwake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I feel it is too high too. The "CAI" they installed is definitely a joke. When I saw the pics I saw a point to talk down the price. Not a fan of the red mesh either.

I will get some pics of the lift this evening if I can. Im thinking if I can get him down to between 5500 and 6000 then we are in the ball park I want to be in.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Price is too high in my opinion... regional pricing and values may be different where you are.

That truck "feels" awfully personalized to me. While the dealer may see a "custom" truck with a lift kit and k&n intake and all sorts of stuff that he can use as an excuse to inflate the price, to me that is someone else's truck. Just like trying to sell your home with family pictures on the wall and that funky, eclectic paint scheme you like so much... potential buyers cannot see it as "their home".

I dont like the red grille inserts, the variations on the black rhino liner and the black paint is off-putting to me. The lift is unknown, but allegedly "done right"? That's a red flag that someone just doesn't know what they're talking about.

What size are the tires? They look small with that lift. Maybe it's just the angles.

Overall, other than some aesthetic choices that dont sit well with ME, maybe you like them... it doesn't look like a bad vehicle. Seems clean. I'd look underneath and check the skids for damage, and for fluid leaks.

That being said, it is still an 06 Liberty Renegade.. the lift kit and k&n intake don't really add to the value unless they do to you. In which case, I'd include that value in deciding on what price is fair.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doesn't look too bad, and yes $7,900 is only asking price. On the right side shot, my monitor is showing me a red upper control arm; JBA arms unless the stock ones were painted.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Wouldn't touch it unless it's under $6000, that CAI has sucked in a lot of dirt I bet.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since there's a "red" theme going on with that KJ I had a thought...

Make sure those red front upper control arms aren't factory arms painted red and trying to be JBA arms. If they're JBA's, they will be round tube with a greaseable, removable ball joint.

Looks like the pinch welds have been pounded over so the previous owner did that part of the lift correctly.

Bob

BorincanoKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a good point TwoBobsKJ

That is a very important detail to identify if that UCA is authentic JBA's, if the ball joint is removable and greaseable. Correct me if i'm wrong the only one who makes removable and greaseable UCA ball joint is JBA's.

regards

southernwake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went there yesterday after they had closed so I could crawl under it in peace. I got some pics of the lift.

Front I see bilstein shocks.
Rear, I didnt see a manufacturer name but they were red and white ( which I have always seen rancho with that color scheme)

Crawled under it and found no stock muffler decently installed but not how I would have done it. No oil leaks that I could see on the pan or rear seal area. Trans pan is weeping towards the back area. That could be a simple fix, if the level was constantly checked. Any way to test the trans to see if its slipping? I know how to check for a worn out/slipping clutch on a manual trans, but not too sure on an automatic.

Tires are 245 70 16s

Attachments

• libby lift 1.jpg
    libby lift 1.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 29
  • libby lift 2.jpg
    libby lift 2.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 29
  • libby lift3.jpg
    libby lift3.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 28
  • libby lift4.jpg
    libby lift4.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 28
  • libby lift5.jpg
    libby lift5.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

southernwake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
more

Attachments

• libby under1.jpg
    libby under1.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 27
  • libby under3.jpg
    libby under3.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 28
  • libby under2.jpg
    libby under2.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 28

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Mine is weeping on a bit too there. Take it for a drive and have a shop scan it for codes. That'd probably be the best way to see if the transmission is getting ready to shit the bed.

Looks like it could be a quality Jeep actually.

southernwake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also forgot to mention that there are zero skid plates. But I didnt see any damage to the oil pan or trans pan etc.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The front suspension is almost certainly an OME/Bilstein lift with JBA control arms - very nice :waytogo: Can't tell if there is a clevis lift or not or whether there is a top plate (no way to tell that without taking a pic of the very top of the shock tower) so not sure how much lift it has been given.

The rear springs look like OME as well and the shocks are likely Ranchos - there's an extra upper isolator installed so there's a nice lift amount in the rear. Plus the previous owner added a brake line drop bracket so the brake line won't get pulled apart at full droop - also very nice.

The weeping ****** pan could be from poor RTV sealant job or a rusting pan. At the last ****** flush, I had the shop install a new pan as the old one was starting to weep around a rust spot. With the amount of fluid on the Y-pipe I bet that baby creates a nice smoke trail when it gets warmed up!

Too bad there aren't any skids but you can take care of that on your own with some from JBA, Skid Row or Mopar if you get the price down to a reasonable number. Take it for a drive that's long enough for things to get up to operating temperature so you can see if there are any ****** problems (slipping, weird down shifts, etc.) and also check to see if there is a valve cover gasket leak especially on the passenger side at the rear. They tend to leak when the engine is nice and warm.

I agree with HJ - that Jeep actually looks like a nice find with a lift that was done correctly. At the right price you'll have yourself a nice KJ!

Bob

Last edited:

southernwake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sounds like the lift is at least done properly so maybe there is some hope for how well it was maintained ( as far as things being changed at the proper intervals). Judging from the interior that I could see it didnt look trashed at all which is also a good sign.

I am going to try and go test drive it today and see how she handles and drives and also check the fluids (trans fluid color and smell and level etc). If she does well I will then start to discuss price with him and see how much he wants to budge.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good to see those red parts panned out. Wow, for once a car salesman who wasn't blowing smoke up your ars, may have been dumb luck with a pitch that worked though. It was lifted right, but still low-ball them. If you planned on lifting a stock Liberty anyway, you want to take into account the value of the parts and the time/expense of installing, or paying someone to have it done.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Very old lift just from seeing the Ranchos, haven't made the RSX line in several years.
Measure from middle of the wheel to bottom of the flare in front
IF they used 927 springs it would of been at 21.5 inches with no additions ( like clevis and top plate etc
Lift still may be good just old , its been on there a good while
Never notched out for the front ball joint zerk either and can tell its hit down there a few times
OVERALL the lift adds maybe 450-500 bucks over one that never had a lift ( thats including the UCAs.)

I wouldn't start any higher than 3500-3750
Last fall when I picked up the 03 they wanted a little over 7000 ( one owner 81,000 miles and all records included )
With taxes, title, 30 day tag etc it was under 4000 what I paid
Pointed out some things that were bad and they took my offer,
of course 30 minutes after getting home pulled parts off the shelf and had it all repaired !:happy175::happy175:

Last edited: