Thinking of selling my 02 Sport-questions of honest value please???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dimebag

Reaction score
Hey guys I have been thinking of selling my 02 Liberty Sport, it's a stocker than still runs awesome!! It has 118,*** miles and growing, pretty much stock except for a set of 04 (I think) 17" liberty 6 spoke wheels and tires. I drive over 100 miles per day round trip and the gas is killing me!!! The heat still works but is a little weak, probably needs to be flushed and the a/c does not work-a few years ago a semi threw a small rock and got the condensor and radiator, I replaced the rad but didn't fix the condensor. It also has a auto starter, no rust or major dents, no mechanical issues ever, just a tune-up, brakes and normal wear & tear. I am the first owner and still have the promo Jeep tent that I might throw in for the right deal....but what is a fair and honest price point for the jeep??? Also I know this might be the wrong forum, but if anybody is interested they can PM me and who knows.... It's silver with the grey trim and interior and vinyl Jeep spare tire cover also. Thanks for the help guys!!!!

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Low to mid $3's (getting not asking). For reference, there is an 02 sport in Chicago on craigslist, 81k miles, looks like a pretty darn nice one. Asking price of $5k. I could easily negotiate that one down to the low $4's.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
You might do a little better to sell it at this time of the year due to the 4wd capability. People like that in the winter. Not so much when the weather gets nice.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"Gas is killing me". What are you looking to replace the Liberty with, how much is it going to cost over and above what you sell the Liberty for (assuming a more expensive car), and what is the payback period (cost vs gas saved)? Make sure your "gas saving" swap is going to pay off.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Definitely. I've seen people trade in the car to save on gas and end up losing overall. I'll round some things off to make the math easier, but here is an example:

Gas = $3.50/Gallon
Guzzler = 18mpg
Sipper = 27mpg

Gas cost of driving 270 miles/week
Guzzler = $52.50
Sipper = $35.00
Difference = $17.50/week

Let's assume that on the trade in you end up paying $3000 out of pocket to get the new car. We'll also assume they are equally reliable.

It would take you 171.5 weeks - about 3.3 years - before you actually started saving money. Change that $3000 difference you paid to get a somewhat newer used car to $9000 for getting a substantially newer used car and your payback period becomes ten years, which is in effect "never" - you probably won't keep the car that long.

I'm not saying you can't arrange a deal to make it worth it, just make sure in advance that your payback period is in a realistic time frame. :)

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^ Nice! I thought about spelling out a scenario like that, but was gonna let him do the math. ;)
Also take into consideration the condition and reliability of your present Jeep, and the car you're buying to replace it. When buying used, you're always taking the risk of inheriting someone else's problems (unanticipated fixes, needs tires, etc). How many times have you heard someone say, boy did I make a mistake buying that pos? I've heard it more than once.
Even if you traded dollars for vehicles (buy one for what you sell the other), you still have the expense of tax, title and plate transfer. Here in IL, you're looking at a minimum of $300 to do all that. At a gas savings of $17.50/week (per the above), it'll take you 4 months to come out even. If you change your mind about cars every 3 months, you're at a loss, not to mention you'll now be a non-Libertyarian and will no longer be admired by your peers. ;)

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
This is only very loosely related (and not directed at the Thread Starter at all), but I've always wondered why complaints about gas prices, mileage, etc, are so common. We probably all know at least one person who'll drive clear across town to save a nickel on a gallon of gas. (And lose money in the end due to the gas they burn getting there and back.)

I think the answer is that we never actually SEE the gas. Groceries are expensive and in need of replenishment just like gasoline, but when you bring home a carload of food and put it away you feel like you actually "have" something. With gas, you shove the nozzle in, watch your wallet empty out, then drive off having never seen the actual gas you just paid for. I bet people would complain at least a little less if we went back to the old style pumps with the clear globe.

Last edited:

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is also not directed toward the thread starter, but, I find it interesting when some complain about what certain things cost, as they light up a smoke that's part of a $35~$50 +/- a week habit. At least a vehicle with lower gas mileage won't kill you, unless you drive it in front of a train. Some people could benefit from a priority realignment, after a needed "lift kit"! ;)

offroad cowboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha i bought my 06 as my gas saver and i average 18-21
Around here in nc prob 3500- 4500

sent by telegraph from my k30

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sell paid off vehicle(assuming it's paid off) for newer and possibly more expensive vehicle.Now you have a monthly car payment,higher insurance,unless you buy brand new you will have maintenance items and failures to consider,so in the long run your paying more money for better gas mileage.

A 10-11 year old vehicle that get's a average of 15mpg's in good working order(and paid off) will be cheaper to own even with a major repair bill of say a engine replacement then buying a brand new vehicle that get's 30mpg's and all it's required extra bills(and higher bills).

Dimebag

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice guys, I am the first owner of my Jeep-it had 2 miles on the odometer when we left the lot!! I have considered the savings and had planned on trying for a straight up trade, but after looking at local Craigslist ads I have quickly realized that I will be much better off keeping my Jeep!! Most cars are beat to death or have 200k and need a long laundry list of repairs. But my short sided thoughts were boy if I spend approx $16 dollars a day to warm-up and commute with the Jeep, and pick up some small car that gets better mileage I could cut it by 1/2, but after looking at the breakdown above I really would really call it a loss-especially with the Winter we have had in Chicagoland this year!!! Thanks to all for the safe like advice, I guess sometimes we all need a smack in the back of the head!!!!

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
...if I spend approx $16 dollars a day to warm-up and commute with the Jeep, and pick up some small car that gets better mileage I could cut it by 1/2, but after looking at the breakdown above I really would really call it a loss...
The funny thing about budgets is that when it comes to transportation we often will accept one big monthly payment in exchange for a reduced amount of the drip-drip-drip daily and weekly expenses of things like gas, etc. For other items our most common mistake is the reverse of that: We nickel and dime ourselves to death on stuff like fancy coffee or buying lunch every day and never really add up what those thing cost over the course of a month or a year. I guess it's because we are already aware that the big stuff like rent, utilities, and transportation are going to eat up a big chunk of our budget and just accept it.

I had a job about twenty years ago where I sat down one day and added up all the little junk I spent money on at work, stuff like a couple cans of pop and a snack or two, plus buying lunch everyday. I realized that all that stuff added together for a month was more than my car payment! :thumbsdown:

...especially with the Winter we have had in Chicagoland this year...
That's another good point. If you had a few times where you couldn't get to work because of the weather, the money you'd lose in even one day's lost wages would wipe out weeks of your gas savings.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get my 69 cent coffee at Thornton's when I go for a fill up. The money I save as opposed to getting coffee at Starbucks should buy me a new car someday. ;)

Dimebag

Reaction score
Sorry but with a stay at home wifey and 2 small adopted kiddos there are no extras-not even coffee at Thorntons!! But we have what we need, and that's cool by me!!

Members online