Thinking of adding a Trail Rated Badge? Get the right one!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AtlanticLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I figured I'd set the record straight once and for all. Due to a screw up, I got a good chance to compare the two different Trail Rated badges. In the images below I have the 2005 Trail Rated badge on the left, and the 2002-2004, (provided you actually got one on some models) on the right.

You must be registered for see images

You can clearly see the contrast between the two. The difference in quality is night and day.

The '05 badge (left) is made of a decently heavy stamped aluminum with a dark pewter painted background and raised brushed aluminum lettering, mountain and outter ring.

The 02-04 badge is VERY thin plastic that seems to be stamped and cut from a mass production sheet. You can see the difference in thickness in the image below.

The lettering, mountain and outter ring on the 02-04 badge seem to be the natural plastic color. The lighter 4x4 letters, are raised slightly, but seem to be painted on and scratch easily.

Flipping them over you can see that they are both self-adhesive but the 05 badge has a thicker adhesive pad vs. the sprayed on adhesive of the 02-04 badge.

Although they are equal in diameter, that is about the only category. The 05 badge is clearly superior and is usually around the same price. If you don't have a badge and are looking for one, get an 05 no matter what year your Jeep is. And even if I already had a badge from 02-04, I'd be replacing it with an 05.

Hope this helps!

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
You mean '04. There was no TR badge prior to model year 2004, and yes, it really *****, lol

The '05 badge is something to brag about! \:D/

papercut

Reaction score
Getting the "Trail Rated" badges for your Liberty

Y'know, I could've sworn that I read somewhere that Jeep will send you a "Trail Rated" badge for your Liberty for free, just call the Cust. Svc. number.

But I couldn't tell you where I saw that, or if it's true. #-o

AtlanticLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Re: Getting the "Trail Rated" badges for your Libe

papercut said:
Y'know, I could've sworn that I read somewhere that Jeep will send you a "Trail Rated" badge for your Liberty for free, just call the Cust. Svc. number.

But I couldn't tell you where I saw that, or if it's true. #-o

They used to, but I think they stopped that when the nice 05 badge came out. And even at that, you got the crappy one from 04 if you asked for a free one.

FSJ Ralph

Reaction score
Last summer I led a caravan of old full-size J-series Jeep on a few trail runs around here, and I got a lot of ribbing about the "Trail Rated" badge on my Liberty. AS IF!...Jeep had to just let everyone know...

dotcentral

Reaction score
Some moron tryed to pry my trail rated badge off my fender last week. Now I have 3 deep scratches around the badge. I would rather got a heat gun and removed it myself & handed it to the guy than have that happen.

02silverKJ

Reaction score
the nice badges are at least 20 bucks on ebay.....

whats the cheapest way to get them, i like them

Tokyojoe1965

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like my `04 badge. I can get through tighter trails than with that fat badge.

icon996.gif mj.gif rollinglaugh.gif (rotflmao) (partysmile)

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tokyojoe1965 said:
I like my `04 badge. I can get through tighter trails than with that fat badge.

icon996.gif mj.gif rollinglaugh.gif (rotflmao) (partysmile)

Yea, but that "fat badge" on mine is genuine imitation body armor and it gives me 50-75 more horsepower. It's better that a "fart burner"..You don't know what yer missin..........

Dave