Thinking about trading my Liberty for a Cherokee...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

loves_off_roading

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found a 2001 Jeep Cherokee that I really like for two reasons.

1. Its 4.0 engine only has 63,000 miles. It will last a long time.

2. It has Four Wheel Drive

I'm thinking about trading straight up for it. I'll basically be trading up for a old school Liberty.

Good or bad idea?

Last edited:

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
the reason XJs have such a huge aftermarket is because they NEED it.

Then again, yeah, he has a 2 wheeler, so nothing of value will be lost.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Doesn't sound too bad. Make sure the XJ is well maintained though.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Go for it!

I was originally going to buy a 2001 XJ Two door just like the first picture with only 53000 kilometer = 32932.67 original miles from the same Repo lot
where we bought our KJ!
$18000.00 (Back in 2001 mind you.)
But the original owner made good on his loan and bought it back
from the bank.

Just think, you could build something like the second picture!

Last edited:

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally I would only drive an xj as a second vehicle. They are no where near as comfortable as a kj and they feel much smaller. Much better drive train then a kj though. Cant beat the I-6 engine and the AW4 ******.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go for it!

I was originally going to buy a 2001 XJ Two door just like the first picture with only 53000 kilometer = 32932.67 original miles from the same Repo lot
where we bought our KJ!
$18000.00 (Back in 2001 mind you.)
But the original owner made good on his loan and bought it back
from the bank.

Just think, you could build something like the second picture!

That second picture is nice except for one thing... The totally GAY exhaust stacks on it... Hey Billy Big Rigger, you got yourself some big Stacks their Buddy! (blarg)

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Reading your sig it says you have an 06 correct? I don't think I would trade straight up for an 01 cherokee unless it was modifyed already. Even a 2WD 06 should go for about $9000 when I bought my 00 cherokee loaded with the classic package was perfect in and out had 95k a year and half ago and got it $2500. I'm sure you could find a better deal then trading straight up...
By the way here is a tease of what a $2500 cherokee with some modification should look!
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

sleeve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would ditch the KJ and get the TJ if you had big off roading plans for it.

KJ greater than TJ for daily driving needs

TJ greater than KJ at moding / offroading [less fragile]

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would ditch the KJ and get the TJ if you had big off roading plans for it.

KJ greater than TJ for daily driving needs

TJ greater than KJ at moding / offroading [less fragile]

Good points... And trading up from a 2wd KJ to a 4wd TJ is a good deal too. However if its going to be your daily driver then i would say find a 4wd KJ, i have never owned a TJ but i have ridden in them, i wouldn't want to do my daily commute in one, just a stiffer ride and less comfort in my opinion.

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good points... And trading up from a 2wd KJ to a 4wd TJ is a good deal too. However if its going to be your daily driver then i would say find a 4wd KJ, i have never owned a TJ but i have ridden in them, i wouldn't want to do my daily commute in one, just a stiffer ride and less comfort in my opinion.

I had a 97 2.5 auto (which at the time was a 3 speed) with AC (not sure how this option came with no other options) and softtop... lets just say the highway was pretty miserable... the softtop is nice and loud, the motor had no balls and the only having 3 speeds makes any speed about 60 very unenjoyable especially up hills! not to mention the stiff ride, but off the road nothing will stop it, even when stock!
This was mine when i bought it:

came out like this: (also did a set of new black flares that made a world of a difference)

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a 97 2.5 auto (which at the time was a 3 speed) with AC (not sure how this option came with no other options) and softtop... lets just say the highway was pretty miserable... the softtop is nice and loud, the motor had no balls and the only having 3 speeds makes any speed about 60 very unenjoyable especially up hills! not to mention the stiff ride, but off the road nothing will stop it, even when stock!
This was mine when i bought it:

Buy that Jeep cheap as a repairable? Sure came out looking nice, but i agree with your observations of them.

Rock Lizard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found a 2001 Jeep Cherokee that I really like for two reasons.

1. Its 4.0 engine only has 63,000 miles. It will last a long time.

2. It has Four Wheel Drive

I'm thinking about trading straight up for it. I'll basically be trading up for a old school Liberty.

Good or bad idea?

2001 XJ's are notorious for cracked heads, especially around that mileage. Check it out professionally first. Any other XJ would be fine, but that year I would have it checked. The castings were different on the blocks, so for some reason they were cracking, but the 4.0 of any other year was bulletproof.

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Buy that Jeep cheap as a repairable? Sure came out looking nice, but i agree with your observations of them.

Yeah i got it cheap with a clear title, no suspension damage and only 90k ended up just replacing bumper (which i got for free) hood and fender but i didnt keep it long because putting people in it sucked... as did the gas mileage (which i don't mind as long as i got some power which the 2.5 does not have..)
Although off the road and in the snow it was amazing, there were days where i was the only car on the streets with no issues and even got to pull a bunch of people out, including a explorer sport trac over a railroad tie in a front yard without the slipping of a tire!

Last edited:

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah i got it cheap with a clear title, no suspension damage and only 90k ended up just replacing bumper (which i got for free) hood and fender but i didnt keep it long because putting people in it sucked... as did the gas mileage (which i don't mind as long as i got some power which the 2.5 does not have..)

But you must have turned a profit flipping it right?? LOL

Nice looking Jeep's but not my first choice... Maybe if i pulled the top off and painted it olive drab and dressed up like a military Jeep... But thats a whole other subject....

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But you must have turned a profit flipping it right?? LOL

Nice looking Jeep's but not my first choice... Maybe if i pulled the top off and painted it olive drab and dressed up like a military Jeep... But thats a whole other subject....

Lets just say im 19 have not ever lost money or even broke even on a car and my KJ is my 8th car! oh and its an 06 that is completly payed of :D

And any day the top could be off it was, even in the snow we decided it would be a good idea, and my buddy had one so we would just drive around topless (driving through a real upscale outdoor mall with the top off in 20 degree weather youd be surpised of the looks people give you!)

Last edited: