These new / newer Libertys look undesirable?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll tell you why I didn't get a KK when I was shopping for a vehicle years ago... electronically controlled transfer case. My neighbor proved that to be a wise decision as he has a Commander, and was stranded 200 miles from home when his t-case decided that neutral was his only choice. $400 later a local shop replaced some sensor in the t-case. 2 weeks later it decided 4-LO was his only choice. $800 later from another electronic glitch he was back on the road.

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe by then Jeep will have a new model close enough to the Liberty to fit the bill. :)

Not sure about that
Nearly every new Jeep besides the Wrangler is going to weird looking headlights and tail lights
I'm not a fan of the Renegades at all, but I guess the Cherokee's aren't too bad.. Really just look like a soccer mom Jeep though
Then again, I haven't ever seen one built up so I guess time will tell since they're so new
Once my KJ hits the dust and I have the funds I'm getting a Wrangler
They keep their style and look just like they always have, and they're easy to build
I've just always wanted one anyhow, whenever someone thinks "Jeep", 99% of the time people think Wranglers because they're the original
Don't get me wrong, I love my KJ and love seeing other people build theirs because it's rare around where I am, but it's just my personal preference to own one one day

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
As many times as the "Jeep" name has changed hands, maybe someone with a little more appreciation of their history will own them by then.

And yeah, I know the "history" is largely tied to the Wrangler, but FIAT, some of your decisions are pretty well off the beaten path.

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As many times as the "Jeep" name has changed hands, maybe someone with a little more appreciation of their history will own them by then.

And yeah, I know the "history" is largely tied to the Wrangler, but FIAT, some of your decisions are pretty well off the beaten path.

I agree but those decisions are keeping the Jeep name alive in this modern day of electronic everything and bubble cars that all look the same. (think of a post-2013 SUV that doesn't have the same shape!). We can only hope with the extra cash they crank out a few more true Jeeps (I'm waiting on the truck personally).

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I'll tell you why I didn't get a KK when I was shopping for a vehicle years ago... electronically controlled transfer case. My neighbor proved that to be a wise decision as he has a Commander, and was stranded 200 miles from home when his t-case decided that neutral was his only choice. $400 later a local shop replaced some sensor in the t-case. 2 weeks later it decided 4-LO was his only choice. $800 later from another electronic glitch he was back on the road.

Knock on wood, the electric tcase in my LR3 hasn't ever been an issue. Has a better low range ratio than the KJ too. :gr_grin::emotions34:

kage860

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wish i could get the equipment of the wk overland in a jeep that looks like the Kj. Hemi power, locking front and rear differentials, hids, bluetooth, saddle brown leather, I can dream can't I? I'm hoping the 2020 bronco comes in a 4 door and it looks like the old ones :gr_grin:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I wish i could get the equipment of the wk overland in a jeep that looks like the Kj. Hemi power, locking front and rear differentials, hids, bluetooth, saddle brown leather, I can dream can't I? I'm hoping the 2020 bronco comes in a 4 door and it looks like the old ones :gr_grin:
Yes you can dream but who needs all of that stuff
To me the more electronic crap you throw on any model the more problems you will have. One of the reasons I only like 02-05 KJs is most don't have a bunch of extras like ABS etc
Now having owned a lot of BobTail Broncos back in the day, would love to have another but not a darn 4 door , nor all of the crap they will load it down with. Would be like the JK Unlimiteds, too big, too bulky and just not good for anything

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The worst thing I see about the JKs is how a used 07 with 120k miles is $20k and you can get a new one with a better engine and same specs for $35000 or less.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
The worst thing I see about the JKs is how a used 07 with 120k miles is $20k and you can get a new one with a better engine and same specs for $35000 or less.

No the worst thing is what people are turning them into.
While down in Winston Salem NC over the last 4 days, seen a bunch of them with 6-8 inches of lift 38-40 inch tires and all of the stupid LED light bars they could attach to them. Huge amounts of money being spent just to drive around town

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I get the appeal of a 2 door one, but for the price of a 4 door one I'd rather get a Land Rover or Range Rover that's two or three years old, would be more comfortable, stock vs stock the same or slightly better off road, more V8ness and you don't see them all over Hell's half acre. :D Or a Hemi GC.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I get the appeal of a 2 door one, but for the price of a 4 door one I'd rather get a Land Rover or Range Rover that's two or three years old, would be more comfortable, stock vs stock the same or slightly better off road, more V8ness and you don't see them all over Hell's half acre. :D Or a Hemi GC.

Agree

CalcityRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not a huge fan of the KK. I would just buy a Commander with the 5.7 Hemi if I wanted square.

CalcityRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No the worst thing is what people are turning them into.
While down in Winston Salem NC over the last 4 days, seen a bunch of them with 6-8 inches of lift 38-40 inch tires and all of the stupid LED light bars they could attach to them. Huge amounts of money being spent just to drive around town

I once saw a lifted JK for sale that was like that and in the ad the lady stated it was never used off road but her boyfriend had her get all the stuff cause it looked cool. She was selling it to buy the vehicle she always wanted but never could get while they were together lol.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I once saw a lifted JK for sale that was like that and in the ad the lady stated it was never used off road but her boyfriend had her get all the stuff cause it looked cool. She was selling it to buy the vehicle she always wanted but never could get while they were together lol.

There's a lesson there.

patandted

Reaction score
As I see it the way that electric cars are progressing there will be no need for transfer cases with high low lockers etc etc they will have an electric motor driving each wheel and probably be better than all of the trucks that we have now not as much fun to build your own truck but this seems to be the way that everything is going.

I still think that my 2001 XJ 4ltr auto was the best truck that I ever had I only sold it last year as I needed something cheaper to run petrol/gas prises are just plane stupid in the uk I changed it for a Nissan X-Trail diesel but its not a Jeep so in the end I changed back to a 2004/5 cherokee/liberty 2.8 diesel auto.

Last edited: