The Official "My Gas Mileage *****" Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jeep is 6 years old. Getting 14.5-16 in town, and I still pull 20-21 on an all highway trip. Just did a trip to Panorama BC from Seattle and clocked 23 mpg. I'm not sure if there was an error there, IE the pump quit prematurely making me believe that maybe it was a false reading. However, if that were the case then the subsequent tank would show an unusually low mileage reading, and it didn't. The next tank got 19.07 mpg on mixed highway/city. So in the end, I attributed the 23 mpg to the fact that there was a lot of downhill coming out of the Canadian Rockies. Which would make sense since my mileage going into Panorama was around 18.96-- a tad low for an all highway trip.

Oh, most of that highway trip to BC was cruising at around 75mph.

Last edited:

dnldfte

Reaction score
Update

I just drove to Tulsa from OKC and back. All turnpike miles, average speed of 80 m.p.h., The Liberty achieved a whopping 18.2 miles per gallon.

Ekbalam

Reaction score
I have a Renegade '03 all stock, only with BF Goodrich AT's (stock size 235/70/R16) and I'm getting really bad mileage 11 MPG in 100% city driving, but fortunatelly and I don't know why I'm getting 23MPG in highway driving at 65-75 MPH (average).

I don't know what is wrong.... I tuned it up 2000 miles ago....(well, I didn't change the fuel filter)

Any idea ???

CRD Joe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I average around 600 miles per tank combined city highway. Ive gotten as much as high as 750 per tank on the highway.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a Renegade '03 all stock, only with BF Goodrich AT's (stock size 235/70/R16) and I'm getting really bad mileage 11 MPG in 100% city driving, but fortunatelly and I don't know why I'm getting 23MPG in highway driving at 65-75 MPH (average).

I don't know what is wrong.... I tuned it up 2000 miles ago....(well, I didn't change the fuel filter)

Any idea ???

Wow, that 11mpg city is kind of a mystery. That seems low, but it's hard to say depending on what your city-driving conditions actually are. The fact that you're getting 23 highway (which is actually a tad high for a nominally tuned KJ) tells me nothing is physically wrong.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I average around 600 miles per tank combined city highway. Ive gotten as much as high as 750 per tank on the highway.

I was about to call ******** when I saw you had a CRD. Well played. Well played.

mountainsurfer

Reaction score
Don't understand this. Just took a trip from Craig to Grandjunction, Co and got 23.6 MPG. A 303 mile trip including going over minor passes. Mods are K&N and Gibson exhaust. Also with 57,000 miles I replace the plugs. They don't seem to last very long. When I took the old ones out they measured .070 to .080.

iamweasel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was undecided about my mileage ...until my fill-up today. 347.3km from 67L = 19.4L/100km or 12.1MPG !! Stock. No lift or chunky tyres...
previous tanks - 14.2 and 15.9

90% city driving, in traffic. How are these guys getting so much better mileage than me? I don't get it. I don't drive with a heavy foot

Last edited:

Jaber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's been 2 days since I purchased it, filled up when I got home and I'm hoping for at least 17MPG city lol. Been doing a lot of stop/go in traffic :(

eyehatetofu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I already ******* and moaned in here, but I didn't really keep track of my mpg's last summer. With the AC on full blast I am averaging between 12-13 mpg's mixed driving. Haven't been very happy the last 4 or so months. I only average 14-15 mpg's with out the AC on. Damn eternal desert summers; I want my 2 mpg's back.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was undecided about my mileage ...until my fill-up today. 347.3km from 67L = 19.4L/100km or 12.1MPG !! Stock. No lift or chunky tyres...
previous tanks - 14.2 and 15.9

90% city driving, in traffic. How are these guys getting so much better mileage than me? I don't get it. I don't drive with a heavy foot
Maintenance,driving style,and about 50 other things effects mpg's.

It's been 2 days since I purchased it, filled up when I got home and I'm hoping for at least 17MPG city lol. Been doing a lot of stop/go in traffic :(
You way above average.What do you expect for a 2 ton brick that is built like a tank? It's not a car-based SUV like a rav4 or crv,hence the lower mpg's then they can get.

Don't know what you all are complaining about I'm loving my 10mpg city and 17mpg highway,always got a grin ear to ear.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
I drive like a blue-hair, and use hypermiling techniques... otherwise I'd get around 14/15 mpg or so too.

I'm not complaining - the fun I've had with this vehicle far outweighs it's less-than-stellar fuel economy. :D

Last edited:

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you want to cry about fuel mileage, the tow rig thread over on pirate4x4 will make you laugh.

oh and I see like 18 city, 20 highway, and still saw high 16s while towing.