The Official "My Gas Mileage *****" Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

djui5

Reaction score
Please forgive me, its kind of a dumb question but have you checked your tire pressures?

Yeah, they're all 33lbs. I have a digital gauge so it's quite accurate. 2 are actually 33.5

In 2WD mode your front driveshaft isn't connected at all so unhooking the front diff won't make a difference.

Ahh, I didn't know that. It just seems to me that Jeeps have more resistance to go than other vehicles I've driven. Kinda like driving a diesel Ford, they take more gas pedal to get moving :) I always wondered if it was something in the diff or the drive train that causes the resistance.

For an experiment, let your Jeep just roll at idol, step on the gas a bit to give it a nudge and notice how fast is slows down. Now do the same thing with a car and notice how much further it rolls and how much smoother it rolls. Hope that makes sense :)

Maybe it's just the weight that causes it, or the V6.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Weight, wind resistance, and the fact that the KJ's front axle is always live. Much more reliable, but I kind of wish Jeep would use locking front hubs. It'd save from spinning the front axle/driveshaft all the time.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, and I think save a lot on gas!
It would only save you maybe about 1mpg,that's it since the weight is the biggest factor,plus your losing power going through the t-case all the time also.If you want good mpg's get rid of the Jeep and get a tin box on wheels.I get 9mpg's in my KJ and love it.

For an experiment, let your Jeep just roll at idol, step on the gas a bit to give it a nudge and notice how fast is slows down. Now do the same thing with a car and notice how much further it rolls and how much smoother it rolls. Hope that makes sense :)
I just let off my brake and mine starts rolling by itself and gains speed.You may have a dragging brake.

djui5

Reaction score
I just let off my brake and mine starts rolling by itself and gains speed.You may have a dragging brake.

What is that? Would that explain why the brakes kinda vibrate for a second when I first apply at slow speeds?

Oh, I'm not worried about the MPG I get in the KJ, I traded in the 26mpg Corolla for it :D The Corolla doesn't go off road. It would be nice to get over 20 combined, but it's a trade off. I'd rather have the KJ then some gas sipping tiny car...

04jeepkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just drove from san diego, ca to maryland. with the KJ loaded down a/c on i was getting about 17-19 MPG. with the KJ loaded down and no a/c i was getting about 20-21. But driving through Tx without a/c sucked, and the KJ decided to gulp down more juice. . .

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
I typically get 17-18 in town and 21 or so on the highway. I've become an active believer in sitting in neutral at stoplights, coasting when I can, shutting off the engine at known longer stoplights... that kind of thing.

I'm now up from 13-14 in the city and 18 or so on the highways.

jeepplata

Reaction score
Gas milage? Think speed and rpm's

Here is my deal: Not everyone will like it but people, it works.
Jeep Lyberty 06:
58 MPH ( HWY) and about 16000RPM 26.3 MILES PER GALLON
In the city some sity/hwy miles low rpm and not throtleing too much 20.5MPG

It works! Try it.60MPG about 25.7 anything above 60 it will lower your MPG average to about 22 to 23.

People look at you in the HWY and think, " here is a slow one" but I get good 25-26 MPG at 58 MPH
Ric

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jeep Lyberty 06:

It works! Try it.60MPG about 25.7 anything above 60 it will lower your MPG average to about 22 to 23.

People look at you in the HWY and think, " here is a slow one" but I get good 25-26 MPG at 58 MPH
Ric

The only problem with that around here is that I would end up "road kill".

Dave

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jeep Lyberty 06:

Ric
All the while causing more accidents while doing 58 in most likely a 75 zone,it's proven that slow drivers cause more accidents then speeders.

jeepplata

Reaction score
Gas milage vs. slow driving

There is the right side of the HWY for slower traffic. All those SPEEDERS, need to think that you do not own the road and the road is not a racetrack. There are signs that say what the maximun speed is. However, people drive up to 9 or 10 mph more than the speed limit. You may be one of them.
I save gas, you don't. I move out ouf your way, I live. You may not if you speed. As long as I go the speed limit or just below it, I am driving leagally. If you hit somebody from behind. it is your fault. As an insurance person, be ready to go to jail for life if you kill me!!!
On a lighter note, I save gas. You dont!
peace

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is the right side of the HWY for slower traffic. All those SPEEDERS, need to think that you do not own the road and the road is not a racetrack. There are signs that say what the maximun speed is. However, people drive up to 9 or 10 mph more than the speed limit. You may be one of them.
I save gas, you don't. I move out ouf your way, I live. You may not if you speed. As long as I go the speed limit or just below it, I am driving leagally. If you hit somebody from behind. it is your fault. As an insurance person, be ready to go to jail for life if you kill me!!!
On a lighter note, I save gas. You dont!
peace
If your not going with the "flow of traffic",no matter what that speed is you are acyually more of a danger then a speeder,it is a proven fact from many reports done by insurance company's.

Oh by the way I get my best mpg's at 78mph in my KJ.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yay! Now I'm not the only one who has gotten the almighty 26MPG number in the 3.7L KJ!!!!!!

You must have been "hypermileing"........or something. I can get my scanguage to read that or way better for a few seconds, but not as an actual real average and I am not a led-foot.

My gas mileage readings range from 8mpg in 4lo/first gear...... to 21 highway on a good day.

When I need better gas mileage - (and no fun) I take the car.

When I "turn on" the jeep - it returns the favor......:D

Dave

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just calculated it on mine after running a half tank of gas through it, filling it back up to see the actual gallons used, and calculating from the trip odometer. 24.96mpg on that half a tank, not bad, my minivan was getting around 25-26mpg. So i'm still doing good.

05Sport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I usually get 20-21 in the summer even with AC, but in the winter i get 16-17.5 with the defrogger on. And x2 with my best milage about 75-78 mph.

sootie007

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2002 v6 4wd sport 16.44 mpg

80% highway 20% in town driving

16.44 MPG FIRST TANK.......... I just bought this vehicle used 7-6- 2009..

18.88 MPG 2ND TANK ...BIG INCREASE I DID A MOD ...WILL LET YOU GUYS KNOW WHAT I DID AFTER NEXT TANK TO SEE IF IT IS TRULY REPEATABLE. 13% INCREASE IN MPG. UPDATE I COMPLETELY REMOVED THE THIRD CAT AND RAN STOCK PIPES AND MUFFLER.

17.7 3RD TANK SO ONLY 8% BETTER THIS TIME....SO + 10.5% AVERAGE SO FAR AFTER 2 TANkS.

18.08 4TH TANK , 2.5 " NEW TURBO MUFFLER AND K+N FILTER.

18.5 5th tank , a lot of highway driving this week at less than 70 mph.

18.1 6th tank....

17.1 pulled k+n - went back to stock filter 7th

17.4 k+n still out -stock filter in 8th

17.48 K+n out -stock filter 9th end of 2.5 " turbo muffler runs ....switching to Magnaflow straight through muffler.

17.17 FIRST WITH MAGNAFLOW STRAIGHT THROUGH MUFFLER ?????? 10 TH. kopkrab.gif SHOULD HAVE DONE BETTER ????

16.93 MAGNAFLOW + 180 HI FLOW THERMOSTAT.....kopkrab.gifkopkrab.gif

Reset computer by disconnecting battery.

17.47 MAGNAFLOW +180 HI FLOW STAT

17.70 MAGNAFLOW +180 HI FLOW STAT

18.13 Ditto

17.11 Ditto

17.98 Ditto

K+N filter back in for kicks again.....terrible 16.56 I think the engine needs time to re-cal itself when you throw one of these filters in...next week will be markedly better

BEEN QUITE AWHILE SINCE UPDATED....

1-2010 MILEAGE HAS GONE TO POT LATELY AT 16.1 :( ....I THREW IN SOME MARVEL MYSTERY OIL IN THE LAST TWO TANKS ...IT APPEARS TO HAVE HELPED I GOT 18.04 MPG THIS TANK WHICH IS THE FIRST TIME I HAVE HIT 18 MPG MARK IN AT LEAST 6 MONTHS. I HAVE ABOUT 108K MILES ON IT NOW.

Last edited:

CRD Joe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought my CRD in Nashville and drove her home to Seattle. Here are my mileage marks on the way home.

Tank 1: Nashville to Selina KS. 745 miles and 19.45 gallons 38MPG
Tank 2: Selina KS to Vail CO. 545 miles and 17 gallons 32MPG
Tank 3: Vail to Yellowstone 621 miles and 18 gallons 34.50 MPG
Tank 4: Yellowstone to Seattle 660 miles and 17 gallons 38.80 MPG

This entire trip was done at 60 MPH with no antenna and the mirrors folded in. Im going to get a Green Diesel Engineering tune for my CPU soon and Im going to try and break 40 MPG.

Last edited:

TommyT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get 21mpg average, mostly highway to and from work, 60 miles
round trip. Only mod, Mobil 1. The blazer I had before the KJ only got 18 on a good day so I'm happy!