The KJ Spring To Do Thread!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
What is currently on Your spring Tune Up/ Fix / Wish List ?
Or what have you already adressed so far?

I am replacing all 6 spark plugs tomorrow and making sure they are gapped at .040
Also Im going to take the IAC off again and clean port & IAC.
Paint work ahead as well, some rust is forming on push bar.

nullptr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've only had mine a few months. My too do list is long and mostly not going to happen this year. :(

So far I've done a bit of maintenance work.
  • New Radiator and Hoses
  • New front upper and lower ball joints
  • Transmission Filter and Flush
  • Power Steering Flush
  • New Spark Plugs
  • New Air Filter
  • Seafoam Treatment
  • Mobile1 Oil and Filter
  • Installed a new stereo
  • In-channel window vent shades
  • Jeep Cargo mat
  • Weathertech Floor Mats

Still on my list...
  • Front and Rear diff fluid change
  • T-case fluid change
  • Brake pads and rotors
  • Brake fluid flush
  • New speakers (blown speakers suck)

Sometime in the future I'd love to lift, add bigger tires, at least a rear locker, and skids.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
R&R front and rear bumpers plus rock rails and paint them
Maintenance happens all year long so I never wait till spring
Oh and move my -4- Caddy horns to a better location just been putting that off

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To Do List:

Finish Rear Fog Conversion

The Maybe:

Export Headlamps, only reason is if I do the Export Headlamps. I would have to get the leveling switch and the trim piece for the dash. Also getting parts over seas can be a real nightmare when dealing with salvage yards over dealerships not to mention going over wiring diagrams to see if there are any relays or connections I need when I hook up the switch. I found what I think is the connector under the dash to hook the switch up to but I may be wrong I have not seen a Libby Headlamp Leveler switch in detail to know if that is. In Europe mainly as well as some other markets, headlamps are ''motorized'' some will turn outward in the direction you are turning to light up around the corner a somewhat feature is here on some cars in the US Market. But you also can raise and lower your headlamps for weather conditions, if its foggy out you and lower your headlamps to the road for better visibility from the switch on your dashboard. Now of course new Jeep Grand Cherokee's have ''motorized'' headlamps in that they lower when off and raise when turned on.
10mm wheel spacers with hopefully extended studs
Put on my custom Euro Front Plate
If I get extended studs, black lug nuts.
Front Skid Plate, I don't have one though I'm considering it possible for aerodynamic purposes, even a meager increase in fuel economy helps in the long run for road trips.

Last edited:

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Deal with a bearing going bad. (#1 priority)
Fastman throttle body
Fuel injector cleaner (tomorrow hopefully got a long run ahead of me for Easter)
Rock rails to purchase and install.... still deciding on type/waiting for a new model
Figure out what's going on with my fog lights
Figure out what's going on with my right rear backup light.
Tune my cb antenna.

RenKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Grind rear driverside door pinch seam, por 15 it, then spray some rust check coating inside the door itself once the por is cured

Front door speakers

Undercoating

Lift install

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
More of a summer to do list:
  • MOPAR combustion cleaner (done)
  • Clean IAC
  • ****** flush
  • filter change
  • Transfer case
  • Gear oil change
  • Figure out what I want to do for better reverse lights
  • Compression test
  • water pump
  • T-stat
  • viscous fan
  • coolant flush
  • modify fan shroud so it can be removed without removing viscous fan(thx Twobobs for the idea)
  • ****** skid plate

Last edited:

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
build the front and rear axles (4.10 gears, DTTs, New axle shafts, intermediate shafts, new cv axles)

rebuild the front driveshaft (I have both cv joints for it)

transmission and t-case service

new plugs

remove rust at the bottom seams of all 4 doors (passenger rear it the worst), prime and paint, then rust proof with fluid film

mount and paint the rock rails

repaint the wheels (or possibly buy new wheels and keep these as winter wheels)

soda blast rough spots under the jeep, paint and rust proof

a full detail

if I manage to get everything else done, fabricate a set of stainless steel roof rails with a detachable basket and provisions for mounting a rigid industries light bar

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Grind rear driverside door pinch seam, por 15 it, then spray some rust check coating inside the door itself once the por is cured

Sounds like your lower doors are rusting too, I did the same thing to mine last fall.
You might find some unwelcome "surprises" once the crusts are gone. Did any rust work it's way around to the front side yet?

colorado76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Going to put on my new rear diff. cover from Solid(just painted it last weekend). Refill with new 85-140w gear oil. Replace rear rotors with new drilled and slotted ones that I bought the week after New Years. All new rear brake pads and e-brake pads. Oil change also due at the end of April. Late summer going to build a front bumper so that I can use my 8000 pound winch that I just got.

twowings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1. Skids
2. Rock Rails
3. Brakes
4. Diff, T-Case, & ****** Fluids
5. CB
6. Front bumper

Last edited:

Jcode68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just finishing up a laundry list:

Front wheel hubs
Front axle seals
Rear axle bearings & seals
Front upper control arms
Front lower ball joints
Front springs & shocks
Fixed rear brake backing plates - drilled, tapped and bolted
Front & rear diff fluid change

I need to inspect and possibly replace rear driveshaft U-joints (140k miles and not sure they have been changed yet). Also plan to change transmission fluid and filter. That should just about do it!

RenKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like your lower doors are rusting too, I did the same thing to mine last fall.
You might find some unwelcome "surprises" once the crusts are gone. Did any rust work it's way around to the front side yet?
Front seems ok so far, gona take a good look and spray some protection when I do my front speakers. Im hoping I can clean out the oil from the rear door well enough for the por to take, did you end up with any por having to be on the outside of your door panel? On one of mine the rust reached the outside and ive lost a spot in the paint to a big bubble.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Front seems ok so far, gona take a good look and spray some protection when I do my front speakers. Im hoping I can clean out the oil from the rear door well enough for the por to take, did you end up with any por having to be on the outside of your door panel? On one of mine the rust reached the outside and ive lost a spot in the paint to a big bubble.

Rust on the pinch side of my left rear door is just at the lower edge. It worked around to the front side on the front door and put a hole in the rear corner. I'm just gonna keep an eye out for a parted out cactus green Liberty, with solid doors. The front door isn't worth fixing.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rust repair:thumbsdown:

X2 :thumbsdown:

I have a soft spot on the driver side rocker panel below the passenger door. Given the size of the rust area I'm thinking of getting a pair of replacement rockers and welding them in to both sides after cutting out the originals.

If I can keep ahead of the rust I can keep my KJ for a long time. The rust cancer worries me though; once it starts it's hard to stay ahead of it :emotions34:

Also going to remove the rock rails and paint them along with rattle-canning the suspension and underbody like I do every Spring and Fall.

Bob

Last edited:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I'll leave my wish list out for now, since I've been wishing for some of that stuff for quite a while now.

This spring I have been on a routine maintenance project.

Completed already:

Radiator Flush
Gear Oil - Front & Rear
Transfer Case Fluid
Power Steering Fluid
PCV Valve

On the agenda:

Clean throttle body
Clean IAC
Brake inspection and fluid change
Clean the cabin and in-cabin air filter.
Check idler pulleys
Paint the undercarriage

Too chicken:

Transmission Fluid, unless someone can talk me into trying this on my own I will leave this one to the pros.

Last edited:

Tinkrr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
P0138 off and on all winter, change O2 sensor clear trouble code
Clean drivers side carpet salt encrusted, Salt Eater spray works well.
Get Rust Check applied, Snow caved in the Rust Check applicator roof in Feb. repairs in progress
Wax

Last edited:

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Too chicken:

Transmission Fluid, unless someone can talk me into trying this on my own I will leave this one to the pros.

I'm of the opinion that there's nothing chicken about that choice. This one's kinda like a radiator flush... The dealer does it so cheaply and so fast - and uses the correct fluid - I feel it's too good a value to do it myself.

I've swapped engines, installed front and rear axles with the Reverend's guidance, installed the lift, changed bearing axles, new brake system blah blah blah, so I know my way around the KJ. But I see no point in changing ****** fluid. :shrug:

Don't feel chicken, Prof ;)

Bob