The Jeep Liberty...for what it's worth!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ibezu2

Reaction score
We had our 2005 Jeep Liberty replaced two weeks ago. Chrysler/Jeep agreed to replace the vehicle at an informal hearing after we complained for a year (numerous service department visits) about the rear end noises (brakes) and then filed under the lemon law. We picked up our new 2006 Jeep Liberty two weeks ago, 50 miles on it. We now have 776 miles on the vehicle and it goes in for service tomorrow. The check engine light came on while we were driving on the interstate...the vehicle started shaking and the engine started making loud noises. The vehicle will not run above 2200 rpm's. When this problem is fixed, whatever it is, the vehicle is gone! We travel alot and bought the Jeep Liberty to carry our Kayak's and fishing gear. We have no confidence in the vehicle at all...NONE! THE JEEP LIBERTY'S ARE JUNK...just my opinion, and everybody has one, opinion that is.

dano104

Reaction score
Wow! I'm sorry man, that really sounds like bad luck. I would be pretty anti-Liberty too. However I have had nothing but good luck out of mine, and like you said that is my opinion. Well I wish you the best of luck in the future.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That does suck. Just bad Karma on your side. What type of vehicle are you looking into now? Can you hold until the 07's come through? Everyone is talking about the Toyota FJ ... tehee.

Good luck with what you end up going with!

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ibezu2 said:
We had our 2005 Jeep Liberty replaced two weeks ago. Chrysler/Jeep agreed to replace the vehicle at an informal hearing after we complained for a year (numerous service department visits) about the rear end noises (brakes) and then filed under the lemon law. We picked up our new 2006 Jeep Liberty two weeks ago, 50 miles on it. We now have 776 miles on the vehicle and it goes in for service tomorrow. The check engine light came on while we were driving on the interstate...the vehicle started shaking and the engine started making loud noises. The vehicle will not run above 2200 rpm's. When this problem is fixed, whatever it is, the vehicle is gone! We travel alot and bought the Jeep Liberty to carry our Kayak's and fishing gear. We have no confidence in the vehicle at all...NONE! THE JEEP LIBERTY'S ARE JUNK...just my opinion, and everybody has one, opinion that is.

Thats a nice opinion you have but its wrong. My jeep makes that rear end brake noise everytime I pull out in the mornings, normal to me. I wouldnt of worried about it and lived with it. If you buy a jeep and do not like all the noises it makes and take it off road and enjoy it, Im glad you wont own the libby any more. It makes other libby owners look bad. \:D/

I hope you buy a Rav 4. :-({|= confused2.gif

sprsonic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
ibezu2 said:

=D> =D> =D> =D>
Thats a nice opinion you have but its wrong. My jeep makes that rear end brake noise everytime I pull out in the mornings, normal to me. I wouldnt of worried about it and lived with it. If you buy a jeep and do not like all the noises it makes and take it off road and enjoy it, Im glad you wont own the libby any more. It makes other libby owners look bad. \:D/

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Liberty for the most part has had good reviews and limited issues from what I have read since back before I bought mine. It's been about two years with mine, and I honestly don't have any complaints.

I will admit that it's amazing that a vehicle with 6000 plus parts, and union built (LOL) actually runs. Would a Ford or GM product do any better? Probably not. There are bound to be lemons out there with all makes.

Anyway... really, sorry to hear about your problems. Believe me, I don't want to hear about problems. [-o<

fouros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats pretty sad to hear

i have over 50,000 miles on my 04 and all i have replaced it the serpentine belt

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is an '02 and has been absolutely problem-free (Knock on wood). I've been very impressed with the engineering of this vehicle.

GoldBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can’t say that I’ve had any luck w/ my wrangler… at 60,000 miles the transfer case blew up because the front driveshaft was off center causing a vibration at highway speed ( I was going 70 when it happened) then shortly after that the sway bar broke followed by the sync plates going bad and then recently the throw out bearing threw itself out. Now I know that’s a ton of problems but most of it was under warranty and fixed, but I’m still putting my trust in Jeep and getting a KJ. The transmission in my Cirrus started going into berserker mode and would unexpectedly down shift at highway speeds. Also some brake problems and tie rods. And the cavalier I had had the engine rebuilt about 4 times because the head gasket would blow or break and leak coolant all over the place.

One would say I’m cursed, and they’d probably be right, but I’ve ordered a liberty and am excited to finally own my own car that I chose and bought (rather than my parents choosing and buying used) and feel happy that if it goes sour I have 7yrs/70,000 miles to get it fixed/replaced. I’m also happy they don’t paint them yellow because I chalk that up to why my wrangler is like a fruit of the same color. I stuck with Jeep because I trust the name and love the look and know it’s a true 4wd.

But I’m happy to know you’re moving on to a different car, because I know I’ll never by a 4 cylinder cavalier for the same reason you’ll never buy an other liberty.

When you produce as many cars as factories do there’s bound to be mistakes some of us are just better at finding the ones with problems than others.

VTNomad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lemon's

Why is it that when someone has a problem with a vehicle the whole line is junk? Rear brake moan has never totalled out a vehicle. My Jeep moans when its cool in the morning after it has sat all night. Am I worried? No. Will I file suit? No. Will I nudge the mechanic with my elbow, wink at him and say 'Come on, how bout you slap me some new brakes on there?' You bet your sweet ass I will. Will he give me a new set of brakes? No, because he's an honest guy with a great work ethic.

Remember these things are mass produced as cheaply and as fast as possible. Hundreds of thousands have been made, a few issues are going to pop up here and there. For the quality you're looking for, you going to have to buy a hand built Bentley. What's that you say? You don't have $350,000? We could always bring back slavery. (I'm not talking American your skin is a differnt color than ours slavery; I'm talking ancient Roman we conquered your civilization, looted your resources and forced you into slavery.)

I'm sorry to hear about your expirence, but you either have champagne tastes and a beer budget, or you're pro slavery and anti-capitalism and against child labor laws, minimum wage and labor unions.

I'm not going to judge the Jeep Liberty's as a whole on one experience (or 100 expirences) and you shouldn't either, and I hope no one else reading this does.

And that ladies and gentlemen, is my rant for the evening.

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
wow, sorry to hear dude....

but like everyone else has stated, it's not perfect, hell, even if you buy that 350k bentley, it will no be perfect. somewhere along the line something will go wrong. weather it's a brake moan, or the ball joints or what have you.

i've had mine since 02 (first model year) and yes, i've had issues w/ it, but as a vechile, I love it. Was it the way I drive, or how the streets are, or what have you make it deteriorate faster? maybe, but I dont blame it on the vehicle, or whoever made it, I blame most of the problems the are recurring on the incompetence of the service my dealership provides me with. the rear brake moan has been around probably since you've purchased yours. a lot of owners have complained about it, but ur the first i['ve heard of that declared it as a lemon. it's a noise, jeeps make noise that other vehicles dont...

it's a jeep thing...and I guess it's safe to say you didnt understand.

maybe you shouldve taken it to another dealer...to have it looked at.
or even taken it to ur trusted mechanic..thats what I started doing.

i'd still buy another jeep, regardless of what negative stuff such as yourself have said, but you know what, i've heard more positives than negatives...

again, i apologize for the bad experience you have had w/ it.

ask anyone in here....or read everything we've posted in here.
we all love the KJ...and we have all had our fair share of "headaches"
but we all stick w/ her, and sweat it through....

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
ibezu2 said:

There's no such thing as a wrong opinion.

Sorry about the bad luck there. That really ***** that neither Liberty has worked out for you, but I'd say nothing was wrong with the 2005. It's a common issue. We usually call them Jeep quirks. They all have them. It's a Jeep thing I guess. You may have also had a case of a bad dealer. They may not have even been performing any work at all.

Good luck with your next vehicle, however, the Liberty is nowhere near junk. I can give you perfect examples of junk, but this just isn't it.

<-- Will happily continue to drive his problem free 2004 Liberty Sport 4x4, 3.7L with 21054 miles.

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Marlon_JBT said:
jeepjeepster said:
ibezu2 said:

There's no such thing as a wrong opinion.

Sorry about the bad luck there. That really ***** that neither Liberty has worked out for you, but I'd say nothing was wrong with the 2005. It's a common issue. We usually call them Jeep quirks. They all have them. It's a Jeep thing I guess. You may have also had a case of a bad dealer. They may not have even been performing any work at all.

Good luck with your next vehicle, however, the Liberty is nowhere near junk. I can give you perfect examples of junk, but this just isn't it.

<-- Will happily continue to drive his problem free 2004 Liberty Sport 4x4, 3.7L with 21054 miles.

Exactly. Not sure how Chrysler or the dealer yet allow it to be processed under lemon law for just some noisy brakes. All you really needed to do was get the brakes replaced if it really bothered you. Just like some tires make more noise than others, some brakes do too.

Just about 40k here and not once single problem. Have had mine lifted and wheeling for about 20k of those too. So far a great vehicle.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
ibezu2 - sorry to hear about your problems.

This does happen with ALL vehicle brands. A good friend will not buy a Ford product due to his experiences with one. I think that it all comes down to the fact that the main reason people buy a NEW vehicle (any brand) is we WANT and EXPECT one with no issues especially since we're spending so much money for a depreciating asset.

I know that this does not lessen your problems and aggrivation. I wish you better luck with your next purchase.

Dave

valvestem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jeep Junk?

Jeep junk? Not compared to my 1975 International Scout II. Same color as this one but w/o the windshield visor.
You must be registered for see images

Ordered from the factory with 4 cylinder 196 c.i., hd 4 spd trans w/2 spd t-case, hd cooling, hd alternator, all the good stuff for off road.
Mounted Dick Cepek Armstrong Norseman's L78x15, remember him or those? HD Dick Cepek 8" steel wheels, Warn 8000 pound winch with Warn hd bumper kit.

What went wrong?

Day of pickup the carburater butterfly plate stuck.
22,000k needed new clutch.
1.5 years old it rusted through over both tail lights, repaired under the Rusty Jones warrantee only to rust through again a year later.
The exhaust fell off.
The heater fan bearings failed.
The dash lights burned out every couple weeks.
Every week something failed or needed repair.

Then the real problem started, it would not stay running.

I was stranded about 8 times along side the road in the middle of no where.

Everthing was replaced to no avail, carb, points, rotor, wires, on and on, diagnosed by everyone everywhere I could get to look at it. I continued to live with it until I could get rid of it.

I traded it with about 40k on the odo in 1980, on a Toyota Corolla and a couple of weeks later the new owner of the old Scout contacted me ask where do you take it to get it fixed? I can not keep it running.

Poor guy, the dealer just unloaded it on him, and could offer no help.

Owning the Liberty so far has been a piece of cake.
You must be registered for see images

Emoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the bad experiences.

My '02 LTD has been a-ok for almost 70,000 miles. I recently had the rear u-joint replaced (under warranty) but that's about it. Can't really complain.

2003KJ

Reaction score
GoldBug said:
I can’t say that I’ve had any luck w/ my wrangler… at 60,000 miles the transfer case blew up because the front driveshaft was off center causing a vibration at highway speed ( I was going 70 when it happened)

Interesting seeing as how your front driveshaft only spins when you have it in a 4x4 setting, so in your normal 2wd day to day driving it's not spinning at all. Have it in a 4x4 setting shortly before it blewed up?

And sorry to hear about your misfortunes. I would also have to agree with the comments on how tough the KJ is. I've only had a couple of quirks, but nothing that can't be fixed with a short trip to the dealer. I really don't think the rear brake moan thing is something to cry lemon over. Mine does it all the time and mine stays in the garage all night. Something I get used to....it only lasts MAYBE 500 ft.

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2003KJ said:
GoldBug said:
I can’t say that I’ve had any luck w/ my wrangler… at 60,000 miles the transfer case blew up because the front driveshaft was off center causing a vibration at highway speed ( I was going 70 when it happened)

Interesting seeing as how your front driveshaft only spins when you have it in a 4x4 setting, so in your normal 2wd day to day driving it's not spinning at all. Have it in a 4x4 setting shortly before it blewed up?

Actually it does spin in 2wd. There are no diconnect hubs on the TJs or KJs either.

CHUD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
desertkj said:
Mine is an '02 and has been absolutely problem-free (Knock on wood). I've been very impressed with the engineering of this vehicle.

X2

I also have a 2002 Limited since April 2002 that has NEVER been to the shop (except for the LBJ recall). I should be this lucky with everything I purchase.

Members online

No members online now.