The horrible pull right left problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fastcarsspeed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just picked up a 02 Limited that seems to have this issues. Should I just replace the rear lower control arms and the Uppper to fix this issue or should I also be looking in other areas. It was dicey drive home 10 miles the other night with this in the rain.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Just picked up a 02 Limited that seems to have this issues. Should I just replace the rear lower control arms and the Uppper to fix this issue or should I also be looking in other areas. It was dicey drive home 10 miles the other night with this in the rain.

Instead of throwing parts, try to find out the real issues first.
Does it pull to the right all of the time or just accelerating ?
Any other issues like vibrations, etc

fastcarsspeed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tom,

Already have her jacked up so I can see what is going on. The symptom is really almost like drunk driving. Hit the gas and it pulls to the right and if I let off the gas it then goes left. If I can keep even pressure on the pedal then I can control the violent nature of it. truck has 280k miles on it so it is going to need some maintenance.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Tom,

Already have her jacked up so I can see what is going on. The symptom is really almost like drunk driving. Hit the gas and it pulls to the right and if I let off the gas it then goes left. If I can keep even pressure on the pedal then I can control the violent nature of it. truck has 280k miles on it so it is going to need some maintenance.

Yes then you need the new LCAs in the rear

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just did this. Easy, was a pain though. One but suffered. Jack up by the diff and put stands on the frame. Control Arm bolts are 21mm shock is 16 and 18 I believe. And sway bar is also 18mm. When I did mine last week I replaced the nut that I got from the dealer and all four bolts for the sway bar. Good luck

Sent from my SM-N930P using Tapatalk

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are going to play the "while I am in there" game do check your upper control arm (boomerang) bushings. This would cause rear body rock but as Tom said your LCAs are making the drive inebriated.

fastcarsspeed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am ordering both lowers, the Upper and also a new muffler and tail pipe as there are a couple holes in the muffler. I also need to look at the rear diff as there is a ton of old oil caked on the cover so need to make sure there are no issues there.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I am ordering both lowers, the Upper and also a new muffler and tail pipe as there are a couple holes in the muffler. I also need to look at the rear diff as there is a ton of old oil caked on the cover so need to make sure there are no issues there.

Get MOPAR only on the rear parts, especially the tri-link.
Cheap ones last 3 months or so before the bushings are gone .

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get MOPAR only on the rear parts, especially the tri-link.
Cheap ones last 3 months or so before the bushings are gone .
Yes yes yes to all of that. However, I replaced my upper with an aftermarket over a year ago, must've gotten lucky.

Sent from my SM-N930P using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online