The Direction of the Jeep Brand by 2013

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jimkelly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Jeep Brand by 2013

I'm sure you guys seen the 2011 Jeep lineup. Looks like chrysler/dodge/jeep is putting their 11/09plan into action:

http://www.jeep.com/en/lineup/index.html?app=priceequip&showslider=false&year=2011#

As you all probably know the Commander, Compass and Patriot are gone for 2011.

Here is some interesting reading for ya (they are PDF files):

Take a look at page 3:
http://www.chryslergroupllc.com/pdf/business/product_development.pdf

Take a look at pages 3 to 8:
http://www.chryslergroupllc.com/pdf/business/product_plan.pdf

Take a look at page 20:
http://www.chryslergroupllc.com/pdf/business/jeep.pdf

Quote from the Jeep presentation on page 5: "Consumer demand in the segment has shifted away from capability, toward on-road dynamics" Good bye Off Road Capability on most models!

Quote from the Jeep presentation on page 16: "Each Wrangler must have all aspects of Jeep DNA but other products can be true to the Brand without certain elements" Again, Good bye Off Road Capability on most models!

Looks like the Wrangler will have major modifications in 2011. The Liberty will go through a refresh and become a Fiat group based (imported) vehicle by 2013. A new small Fiat group based SUV will be introduced in 2013. And as we all know the Patriot and Compass will be one Fiat group based vehicle by 2013.

So by 2013 there will be 3 different Jeiats and the Jeep Wrangler and Jeep Grand Cherokee. Obviously they make no mention to additional new products in development and whether or not they will be imported.

By 2013 looks like only the Wrangler and the Grand Cherokee will be made in the good ol' USA and hopefully a Jeep Pickup.

Here is a direct link to the complete chrysler group business plan:

http://www.chryslergroupllc.com/business/

So who can't wait for Fiat to start building some Jeeps?

Last edited:

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, they own it they can do whatever they want with it. We all know those three were not selling well, although I really liked Patriot. They can just discontinue those three, and have something that works, if I were them I would even discontinue liberty, and just go back to Cherokee, Grand Cherokee and Wrangler line up. Cherokee could be Patriot shaped body on Liberty chassis, and have all three covered as it supposed to be. Off-Road / Road with Off-Road Capable / On-Road Comfort.

Both X-Terra and 4Runner have been doing great sales wise, and look at their tag.

porkerface

Reaction score
I'm not sure why the Compass was ever introduced. People don't own a Jeep because they're looking for the most comfortable pavement ride or better than average fuel economy. They buy a Jeep because it signifies off road capability. Of course, these watered down vehicles didn't sell with a Jeep brand.

There should be the Grand Cherokee, the Wrangler, and a midsize SUV that is still a truck. The only reason I'm still driving my 2003 Liberty is that the new Liberty is just not an attractive vehicle, and they allowed it to get a bit stale. If I had to replace it, I'd probably go with an X-Terra and not that feminine looking Honda CRV or other soccer mom looking stuff, since they made the Liberty look goofy. The point is that the look of the vehicle had more to do with its shrinking sales then its less than car like handling (but a more powerful engine is definitely needed). Bringing back the Cherokee isn't a bad idea, but putting it on some Fiat platform so it can feel like a car is a horrible one. Jeeps should feel and be made like a Tank.

If Chrysler wants to compete in the crossover car like handling market, then it can use the Dodge brand to do that. Jeep should be true to the history. Any Jeep that's not a true Jeep is just a waste of the brand.

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
People don't own a Jeep because they're looking for the most comfortable pavement ride or better than average fuel economy.

Actually that is exactly why they would buy a compass, they want the brand identity but need the fuel economy. And ..lol .. "everyone else will think I'm a Jeeper!"

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
We'll see what happens...remember back in 01 and people thought the KJ was the demise of Jeep? Well...it wasn't. Not really going to fret until I see the Fiat Jeeps at the dealer.

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
.Any Jeep that's not a true Jeep is just a waste of the brand.

I'll have to disagree with this statement. A Jeep is a Jeep. If selling the Compass and Patriot to folks who just want a tarmac cruisers makes Jeep more money to support the building of Wranglers and other "real" Jeeps, then more power to them. And many folks, especially here in the north, want a 4-wheels drive vehicle for winter, but don't require true off-road capability.
Alot of folks say that the Liberty is just a grocery getter and isn't a real Jeep. I think that many on this forum and on LOST have prven them wrong. My KJ has been just as capable off road than my old XJ. Many Wrangler guys diss the KJ and KK, but the fact is that it is a pretty successful platform. I see more Libbys in the road than any other Jeep, and the truth is if Jeep only built Wranglers and Grand Cherokees, it would go bankrupt.

JMO

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I remember when the YJ came out with square headlights and everyone yelling its the end of a true Jeep:happy175::happy175:
Then people saying if its not 4 wheel drive its not a Jeep. Guess what they have been building 2 wheel drives longer than most on here have been alive!
I say build whatever will get more new Jeep owners into the Jeep brand, many bought KJs as their first Jeep and now have a second Jeep in the drive in the form of Wranglers, so it does help to have these types to bring in new prospects
Quite worrying and just get out and drive your Jeep

al7fi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guess what they have been building 2 wheel drives longer than most on here have been alive!

How true! Back in the late 40's, my dad had a Jeep station wagon 2wd. Fake wood looking panels and all with 2 doors. Too bad he could not afford to keep it. Times were very hard back then.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I noticed that the previously Jeep/Chrysler/Dodge dealer--which was later turned into a Used Car lot for the same dealer when they moved a mile down to that huge new building-- put up big Fiat flags on their poles. They are still the used car branch of the same dealership.

Apparently there is a lot of plans for 2013, including a new Jeep Liberty, which might be what everyone has been talking about, Fiat/Jeep Liberty kind of thing, and possibly a few new vehicles.

PS: I just noticed KKs did not have roof rails, neither WK2 or new Compass. Just rail looking things on the side.

gtommec

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I noticed that the previously Jeep/Chrysler/Dodge dealer--which was later turned into a Used Car lot for the same dealer when they moved a mile down to that huge new building-- put up big Fiat flags on their poles. They are still the used car branch of the same dealership.

one of our largest Chrysler/Dodge/RAM/Jeep dealers is now a Chrysler/Dodge/RAM/Jeep/Fiat dealer as well

porkerface

Reaction score
I agree these changes will not destroy the Jeep brand, because the Wrangler will pretty much remain a brute, but to not have a muscular Cherokee type vehicle in the line up is just not right. I really don't want sissy people driving something with just the Jeep badge on it anyways. Let them drive their little mini coopers and such. I have never understood why someone would buy a 4x2 Jeep. It's like buying a muscle car with a V-6 engine. It's like buying non alcoholic beer.

Just say no to sissy fiat jeeps.

Alejandro

Reaction score
I remember when the YJ came out with square headlights and everyone yelling its the end of a true Jeep:happy175::happy175:
Then people saying if its not 4 wheel drive its not a Jeep. Guess what they have been building 2 wheel drives longer than most on here have been alive!
I say build whatever will get more new Jeep owners into the Jeep brand, many bought KJs as their first Jeep and now have a second Jeep in the drive in the form of Wranglers, so it does help to have these types to bring in new prospects

I first purchased a KJ for it's conservative style, while maintaining the Jeep off-road compatibility and I must agree with tommudd because it has made me fall in love with Jeep and I have not only influenced myself about it's reliability but also my peers. I will definitely purchase another Jeep and that is because I was edged into the works through the Jeep Liberty, thus I am an example of the brand branching out for the sake of collecting a larger customer base.

porkerface

Reaction score
I sat in the Jeep Compass the other day and was somewhat impressed with the construction. It felt pretty solid and I think with the 4x4 model it represents the Jeep brand rather well, so I'll eat a little crow about that one, but they're going to replace it by 2013. The only thing that will change that is if the current version sells well. It's really a nice little but roomy utility vehicle. Dodge should just axe the Caliber and let the vehicle be strictly a Jeep. It's funny that the Nitro killed the Liberty, but the Compass may actually keep the Caliber alive until 2013.