The $500 ScienceMobile build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Marvel, wow. I sold that in 1970 when I worked at an auto parts store. It was an antique then. I believe it originated for use in add-on top-end oilers for Model T's or Model A's.

Most we sold were for air tool lubrication.
Truth man, truth. As a VW bug guy from way back, I thought it was only for a dripper on flat fours.
Really is a marvelous mystery.
Kind of a shame it only comes in red plastic containers now. The cans were kind of an icon in wrench head garages for decades along with State 999 degreaser and Kano Kroil. ( I still use both of the latter, though 999 is getting hard to find.)

Great for air tools, compressor seals, and storing 2 strokes. Even better when used with Kroil to free up junkyard find engines.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I drop 4 Oz. of Marvel in with every fill-up. It makes me feel Marvelous. (But not quite Fabulous.)

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
I drop 4 Oz. of Marvel in with every fill-up. It makes me feel Marvelous. (But not quite Fabulous.)
Yeah, I have a few of the 8oz (?) bottles on the shelf in the garage for Beazlebug Mk. II's top end dripper. Got so dang frustrated with that frakkin' P0306 code I figured, "what the heck, it works for engines older than I am with top end issues." Got to reading the bottle and was stunned I hadn't remembered it is both a fuel and oil additive in addition to the regular uses. When the MIL went out and stayed out I almost cried with joy...was starting to think I'd have to do a rebuild because of just 1 cylinder and that pesky random misfire and rough idle.

So from here on out, Bert ScienceMobile gets a bottle of MMO once a month in the summer and every other month in the winter, just like Beazlebug Mk. II.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Still very far behind on pre-winter projects. these new meds the VA put me on for your protection really slow me down. I've probably said it before, but I'll say it again: How the frak do you people get anything done at this speed?

Anyway, as always, I am scavenging for deals and what I call rabbit (you see it is free so you 'rabbit and take it home....get it?)

Bert is getting a friend in the near future as I scored one of these in trade for a 67 VW block I have had stashed away:
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200612543_200612543
Got a bunch of other stuff too, including so VW parts and some camping gear. (those OEM VW blocks worth a bundle these days...didn't tell him about the other 7 I have, three of which are NOS...)

So anyway, I plan to build a micro mobile lab/kitchen/ gear hauler out of it. Something I can just leave packed and ready. I spend enough time in the field, it makes sense to keep it ready to go, eh?

I shall name it Excursion Ready Nature Investigation Equipment...ERNI for short.

See what I did there?

So, what should have been a six hour job took me all weekend. For various reasons, couldn't start the third window cabinets OR the steering rebuild I had planned.
So, I'll spend the weekdays finishing the last few details on the lighting install and pray the weather cooperates for the steering rebuild this weekend.

The third window cabinet doors get put on hold yet again...dang it...but I do not dare start them until I know I can complete them, as I do not dare risk having two windows missing in my neighborhood.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Not trying to send people elsewhere, but there is an epic (truly deserving of the term, in this case) trailer thread here:

Keep meaning to build one for myself, but I am too lazy to even drill three holes for my offroad light switches.*

*If I mock myself long enough I will get ticked off and maybe actually go do it.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Not trying to send people elsewhere, but there is an epic (truly deserving of the term, in this case) trailer thread here:

Keep meaning to build one for myself, but I am too lazy to even drill three holes for my off road light switches.*

*If I mock myself long enough I will get ticked off and maybe actually go do it.
I'm digging the Jeep Tub build on there...overkill for my needs, but cool as heck

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
It only goes on for about 3500 posts or some (hence the "epic" appellation), so we'll see you back here in a couple months when you are done. :D

(Why does our "Big Grin" icon look like someone getting a surprise cattle prod in the keister?)

EDIT: Wow - it let me type "keister"!!!!

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Well that $&@!#%€#@&!!!! Random misfire returned, but it is not paired with the #6 code…I’m officially stumped. Since Techron did nothing and MMO did for a bit, I’m guessing I better save some pennies and get it to an engine shop.

Scheduled a pan drop, fluids and filter for week after next.

Actually looking forward to putting in the steering parts. It’s great wrenching weather here in the central plains!

And now: the lights at night!
In order:
OE fog lights
OE fog lights and low beams
OE high-beams
Ditch floods and lows and fogs
Ditch and spots
Ditch spots and bar
Everything!
Rear work floods.

Not shown, disco mode with all lights on and the sound system pounding.
Note to self, find a spot to take these sort of pictures with a better target!
You must be registered for see images attach

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Bad Weather has been the bane of my projects list. Lots of Cold Rain.
And, of course my daughter blew a lower ball joint on her Sentra which tore out the axle too...
So right now I am working on an '08 Sentra, a '58 Bug, a '15 Altima, and poor Bert and ERNI are left all alone dreaming of turning dirt roads and dead ends to dust.

And, to add insult, I found a Frankenlift (?) 06 KJ for under a grand, bad brakes and needs a radiator. Less mileage and rust than Bert...
Any one wanna buy an Altima? :p

Brownie points if you know the song reference.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
So as I sit here in my office waiting for the rain to quit, I've bee pouring over older threads on here...was pleasantly surprised to find that the owner of the KJ that inspired the Bert build was on here at one point. I'll never need to rock crawl, but saw this elsewhere on the web a while backand it got me thinking. Sharp looking jeep to my eyes, even with the International Emergency Orange color.

dsc00047-jpg.58961

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
So as I sit here in my office waiting for the rain to quit, I've bee pouring over older threads on here...was pleasantly surprised to find that the owner of the KJ that inspired the Bert build was on here at one point. I'll never need to rock crawl, but saw this elsewhere on the web a while backand it got me thinking. Sharp looking jeep to my eyes, even with the International Emergency Orange color.

dsc00047-jpg.58961
Started out black, but due to a hail storm had to have it repainted custom Lamborghini color
I've got a bunch of Troys old parts that he made me a deal on like the Vision X lights and rock rails, and well the list goes on
People get upset with some things I say, should of been on here back in the day when Troy was LOL

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Bad Weather has been the bane of my projects list. Lots of Cold Rain.
And, of course my daughter blew a lower ball joint on her Sentra which tore out the axle too...
So right now I am working on an '08 Sentra, a '58 Bug, a '15 Altima, and poor Bert and ERNI are left all alone dreaming of turning dirt roads and dead ends to dust.

And, to add insult, I found a Frankenlift (?) 06 KJ for under a grand, bad brakes and needs a radiator. Less mileage and rust than Bert...
Any one wanna buy an Altima? :p

Brownie points if you know the song reference.
Frankenlift ? For sure ??
Remove the spacer and be good to go

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Started out black, but due to a hail storm had to have it repainted custom Lamborghini color
I've got a bunch of Troys old parts that he made me a deal on like the Vision X lights and rock rails, and well the list goes on
People get upset with some things I say, should of been on here back in the day when Troy was LOL
Lol

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Cool! I’ve always wonder what he’s got on the rear. Is that stuff mounted on the swing gate or did he adapt a equipped bumper?

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would guess it was a Rock Lizard rear bumper with swing away tire carrier. They were awesome but the company no longer exists.