The $500 ScienceMobile build

LabRat

Reaction score
Well, except for the fuel tanks that get delivered Tuesday, trip outfitting is complete.

Tires and wheels go on Wednesday.

I really was hoping to get the lift on before the trip, but the cheapo A1 auto suspension will get me through the July trip.

custom bumpers will also have to wait till after. Don’t need them for this excursion. Am about half way done with the welding.

Still chasing the takeoff clunk, but my excursion insurance covers everything, so if I’m lucky.

LabRat

Reaction score
Go have fun, and good luck on your research
Oh, I’m gonna. No crazy off road rock climbing wrangler stuff, but gonna put around 3k miles in 21 days on Bert. Provisioned for 45 days. Have till August 2nd to be back to the labs…and still have nine weeks vacation on the books.

then two weeks in the labs, and then three weeks in the field.

now that I have Bert and the ARB Double Swag…field research is 365…

built a custom spark arrestor and installed the skid plates.

I’m finally ready-ish

LabRat

Reaction score
Just a few days to go! The hurricane force storms gave me the chance to …”test the transmission for stress fractures…” ( brownie points if you know that quote)

as stated elsewhere, this 500$ Heep far exceeded my expectations. It’s loaded out with twice the weight I’m taking on this expedition, and it never broke a sweat.

The disaster here did expose a glaring error on my part- with OE style bulbs in my rock guards seriously affected visibility. So I just upgraded to the brightest bulbs I could find and will find out tonight if that helps.

I also discovered my reverse lights aren’t working, so going to troubleshoot and repair that today.
As I pour through this thread, I’m laughing at my self. Still things I want to do, but the last 30+ hours proved to me that Bert the ScienceMobile is good enough for now.

LabRat

Reaction score
Load testing complete. Balanced and tied down. RainX and heavy wipers all around. Clean Socks packed. Pre trip inspection complete. Sat Coms tested. Glove box filled with beef and bison jerky.

The next post will be from the road!

Bring on the field work!