Thanks to everyone who contributes!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Warren.fischbeck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would like to thank everyone who has posted anything that deals with CEL’s. This past weekend I was out wheeling at my in-laws farm in central Illinois (3 + inches of rain fell the day I was wheeling) and ended up having to cross a washed out road. Long story short the trip launched a series of CEL’s that was causing all kinds of havoc on engine performance and MPH. I turned to the wealth of knowledge here for how to grab the codes from my ’03 Sport and what those codes signified. After I knew what was wrong I grabbed my tools and set to work to make everything right. This is a list of what was wrong with my rig:
P0158
P0300
P1682
P0303
P0304
P0306
P0305
P0836 (This one I’ve had for a while, I just haven’t bought a new sensor)

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
P0158 2/2 O2 Sensor Shorted to Voltage
P0300 Multiple Cylinder Misfire
P1682 Charging System Voltage Too Low
P0303 Cylinder # 3 Misfire
P0304 Cylinder # 4 Misfire
P0306 Cylinder # 6 Misfire
P0305 Cylinder # 5 Misfire
P0836 ??

http://jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39860

Looks like you shorted a few things by splashing too much.

Warren.fischbeck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
P0158 2/2 O2 Sensor Shorted to Voltage
P0300 Multiple Cylinder Misfire
P1682 Charging System Voltage Too Low
P0303 Cylinder # 3 Misfire
P0304 Cylinder # 4 Misfire
P0306 Cylinder # 6 Misfire
P0305 Cylinder # 5 Misfire
P0836 ??

http://jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39860

Looks like you shorted a few things by splashing too much.

Splashing is an understatement, I ended up crossing a washed out road that was about half way up the doors, and about 100 + feet long. Replaced the plugs and air filter, dried everything out and viola the 3.7 is running like a champ again. Only thing left to do is buy a new fender flare which broke earlier in the day and then washed downstream...

Attachments

• crossing.jpg
    crossing.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 17

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lucky it didn't flood the breathing/drain holes, for sure you got some water in, but I guess it wasn't that bad enough to stall you half way through your rafting adventure... :)

You got bunch of misfires, I don't really know much about those, but give it a few days to get back to its feet, I would try to reset the codes and run it within safe distance from home to see if codes return. Someone else would probably give you their expert opinion.

Warren.fischbeck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lucky it didn't flood the breathing/drain holes, for sure you got some water in, but I guess it wasn't that bad enough to stall you half way through your rafting adventure... :)

You got bunch of misfires, I don't really know much about those, but give it a few days to get back to its feet, I would try to reset the codes and run it within safe distance from home to see if codes return. Someone else would probably give you their expert opinion.

My brother-in-law (Chrysler Mechanic) was in the car when I was doing my white water rafting thinks I'll be ok. I touched base with him this morning to let him know how it was acting.

trail rated

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wait a minute, so KJs can't go through deep water??? My almost stock WJ has been in water that was over the bonnet and it has never given me any trouble. All that I did was extend the breathers and I have never gotten any water into my diffs or T-case.

Not my pics but still...
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Anyway, I would change the gear oil and T-case fluid because the breathers are pretty low on the KJs.

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wait a minute, so KJs can't go through deep water??? My almost stock WJ has been in water that was over the bonnet and it has never given me any trouble. All that I did was extend the breathers and I have never gotten any water into my diffs or T-case.

Anyway, I would change the gear oil and T-case fluid because the breathers are pretty low on the KJs.
That's also what you need to do on a KJ - extend all breathers as high as possible to offset the chance of water getting in where it shouldn't be. And yes changing fluids would be a good idea if you hadn't done the breather extensions yet.

Warren.fischbeck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's also what you need to do on a KJ - extend all breathers as high as possible to offset the chance of water getting in where it shouldn't be. And yes changing fluids would be a good idea if you hadn't done the breather extensions yet.
I'm sitting at just over 100,000. This weekend I'm swapping everything, coolent, oil, diffs, t-case, powerstearing, brakes... I've got a manual so no ****** fluid swap.

trail rated

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Yes, but that appears to be only part of what needs to be done on KJs. Shorting out sensors is not a good thing, if it's just the connectors that are not water tight than that's an easy fix, but if water is somehow making its way into the sensor than that's a different story.