Tensioner Pulley Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gbelous

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, My wife has an 03 Liberty Sport. Right after we got it about 3 years ago it started to get some ticking, clicking sound when idling. Left it alone for 2.5 years and ir gradually for worse and then suddenly in a day it was a horrid grinding sound. Mech checked it out and it was the AC compressor making the noise. I replaced that and then 3 weeks later the lesser clicking started again. This time it's not as frequent and happens mostly when really cold out.
Mech said it's the tensioner pulley. He quoted me $216 for parts and labor.

Just wanted to get feedback and see if this was reasonable or if I should just go to rockauto and get it there to do myself. Their Dayco one (part #89254) is about $39.

The Mech said he would have to measure the pulleys, but if I replace the whole tensioner that wouldn't be a problem, right? The Dayco one is compatible with this Jeep. And there's nothing too complicated about the install, just pop off belt, unbolt the tensioner, replace and reinstall the belt, right?

Thanks for any help!

AVR2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$216??!! No, that's not reasonable. I guess (hope!) he was pricing that based on the cost of an OEM tensioner rather than aftermarket. I think you're looking at $100+ for a Mopar tensioner.

I recently changed the complete tensioner assembly on my 2005 KJ, simply as a precautionary measure - I was still on the factory tensioner. I got the same $39 Dayco one from RockAuto that you mention. Easy as pie. Remove belt, remove tensioner bolt, remove tensioner. Fit new tensioner using new bolt that comes in the box with it, and torque to 41Nm. I also fitted a new belt.

Hardest part of the job was rotating the tensioner pulley to give enough slack to slip the new belt back on - that's some major spring pressure there, and being new the belt was tight as well. In the end I had to use a T-bar rather than a standard breaker bar just so that I could pull with both hands, and my wife slipped the belt back over the PS pump pulley.

Last edited:

gbelous

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks good to know. Yeah he said the aftermarket one would be $116, plus 100 in labor. He said the dealer had a different size pulley (that he'd have to measure to see what he needed) but he didn't price that one.
The job itself doesn't sound hard, I just want to make sure I'm replacing the part that needs to be replaced lol. I guess if he heard the sound from the pulley, then that's probably it. The sound is so irregular when it happens that it's hard to have someone listen at a certain time.

gbelous

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there any way to pinpoint if it is the pulley that's making the noise? I've tried to listen with the hood open but there's so much other noise that it's hard to hear exactly where it's coming from

Akedos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hardest part of the job was rotating the tensioner pulley to give enough slack to slip the new belt back on - that's some major spring pressure there, and being new the belt was tight as well.

I changed mine about 2 years ago, also with the dayco one. They are TIIIGHT. Get an extra set of hands if you can to slide the belt on. This is a do it yourself job though if need be.

Akedos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there any way to pinpoint if it is the pulley that's making the noise? I've tried to listen with the hood open but there's so much other noise that it's hard to hear exactly where it's coming from

Sounds like the tensioner at this point. But it's hard to say. Honestly I had the same issue a while back with the engine noise. All at once the A/C compressor went and seized up, which then killed the water pump and the tensioner. Tensioner is relatively cheap to replace and will be a good investment with an 03, you'll likely never replace it again.

gbelous

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, thanks for the help...I'll definitely do it myself instead (way cheaper). And now thinking about it on my Jeep GC, I wonder if my tensioner is starting to wear because when I start up, the belt squeaks until it's warmed up and it's a new belt. lol

Akedos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, thanks for the help...I'll definitely do it myself instead (way cheaper). And now thinking about it on my Jeep GC, I wonder if my tensioner is starting to wear because when I start up, the belt squeaks until it's warmed up and it's a new belt. lol

I had the same issue in my Buick Regal... I mean, it's a different car but it ATE belts like no tomorrow until I replaced that tensioner.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hardest part of the job was rotating the tensioner pulley to give enough slack to slip the new belt back on - that's some major spring pressure there, and being new the belt was tight as well. In the end I had to use a T-bar rather than a standard breaker bar just so that I could pull with both hands, and my wife slipped the belt back over the PS pump pulley.

Breaker bar makes that operation a breeze.

belvedere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently put a NAPA (Gates) tensioner assy on ours. About a 10 min job!

Banditsteve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$216??!! No, that's not reasonable. I guess (hope!) he was pricing that based on the cost of an OEM tensioner rather than aftermarket. I think you're looking at $100+ for a Mopar tensioner.

I recently changed the complete tensioner assembly on my 2005 KJ, simply as a precautionary measure - I was still on the factory tensioner. I got the same $39 Dayco one from RockAuto that you mention. Easy as pie. Remove belt, remove tensioner bolt, remove tensioner. Fit new tensioner using new bolt that comes in the box with it, and torque to 41Nm. I also fitted a new belt.

X2 As above. That to me sounds extortionate. I put a tensioner a couple or 3 weeks ago. Literally a 10 minute job. My Gates tensioner was about £50 and we normally get shafted over here in the UK for parts. Take the belt off, remove bolt and tensioner. Fit new bolt and tensioner and refit belt. Job done. When I did mine it also cured the rattle which I was convinced was a drivetrain rattle and also the squeak when reversing which I was convinced was the clutch release bearing! 3 faults cured for the price of one! Bargain. Just as a heads up, while the belt is off, check you don't have any "endfloat" in the alternator (generator) as my decoupler on the end of the shaft was rattling. The good (or relatively good) news was that the alternator was only £105 and the decoupler was going to be £80 on it own! Hope you get it sorted out. Steve :smokin:

AVR2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Out of interest, what do mechanics in the USA typically charge for labour? The independent Jeep/4x4 shops where I live charge the equivalent of $40 per hour.

Just wondering about how the OP's mechanic was actually quoting the job. $100 for a Mopar tensioner plus $116 for an hour's labour?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Out of interest, what do mechanics in the USA typically charge for labour? The independent Jeep/4x4 shops where I live charge the equivalent of $40 per hour.

Just wondering about how the OP's mechanic was actually quoting the job. $100 for a Mopar tensioner plus $116 for an hour's labour?
Ranges from $80-$150 per hour depending on location.The tech actually recieves about 25%-35% of that and the rest goes to shop overhead and shop profit.

Nooby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He quoted me $216 for parts and labor.

I was quoted similar when I asked about it when getting my ac compressor changed, since the belt was off already(not that that takes too much time)

shop rate here is 90-100, dealer 150,

I just changed both my self on friday, took about 15mins, and half of that time was due to a rounded off tensioner bolt (even with my 6pt sockets,
but I had this on hand,(Irwin Industrial Tools 394002 Bolt-Grip Expansion Set, 5-Piece) so i could get it out, it will fit in the recesed hole easily

total cost, not counting the "bolt-grip" and "serp belt tool" which I already had was about 60$, normally the price was $100, but I had a spend 100$get 40$ off which was worth shopping around for and able to get locally

I also had picked up a new bolt from the dealer before I started since the new tensioner did not come with one, it was 2.63

so grand total around 67 with tax

this serp belt tool made it easier too
You must be registered for see images attach

here is a pic of the bolt remover tool that I needed, but most will not need it, just bad luck on my part
You must be registered for see images attach