Tapping Sound during attempted start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mu2bdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When my wife attempted a start this morning, the KJ made a fast-paced, high pitched rapping/tapping sound from the engine compartment. Battery voltage is at 12.15 so not perfect, but that should be plenty to turn it over. Every time I heard of this in the past, it's been a starter issue so that's where I'll likely troubleshoot first. Any tips on removal or companies to stay away from with remans? I'll try to hit it a few times with a mallet to see if that gets it going but not looking forward to being a chauffeur for a few days.
Thanks in advance.

ETA: Starter relay in PDC is original and mini CB for starter relay is intact. What's up with a jumper wire I keep reading about?

Resolution:
Checked starter relay and it was getting 12v from the switch.
Checked the neutral safety switch and that checked good.
Checked power going to starter-mounted solenoid and was getting battery voltage.
Saw what a ***** it would be to replace the starter and jumped the car with a known good battery. Had the battery tested and it was marginal. Installed a new AAP 34-2 for under $100 and it started fine. I didn't think less than 0.75 of a volt would make that much difference in starting.

Last edited:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
What the starter needs is available amperage.
Always try to find an 800CCA battery when replacing.
That way you will have more reserve capacity and more CCA as it gets cold or old.
A load test should be performed on a battery every year.
If you have a battery with removable electrolyte caps, buy a battery hydrometer for $5 and check each cell.
Then you will know what the state of charge is or specific gravity reading. Amazing how an overnight trickle charge brings the readings up so well!
The hydrometer will show a bad or weak cell real quickly as well, handy item to own.
49596[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Happy to Hear a new battery made the jeep go Vroooooom again!

Attachments

• BatteryHydrometer-2.jpg
    BatteryHydrometer-2.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 0

mu2bdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, this one is 800CCA and 1000CA. The last one was sealed and I was pressed for time to get the vehicle back in service for her. The 40% off online coupon code with in store pickup made it burn a little less. I was surprised how quickly the battery went bad; the car was just driven the night before and nothing seemed wrong; it was almost like the way a ni-cad loses it's capacity quickly. The other one wasn't dated but I remember replacing it sometime around 2009 or so.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Happy you got a 800CCA!
I think the average life of lead acid batteries is about 4-5 years.
I can get more out of mine, but it is a matter of keeping them charged up.
I use a C-Tek 3.3 Amp charger and often plug the Jeep in overnight.
I also have a 100 amp load tester, and make sure they pass every fall, before the cold arrives.
49610[/ATTACH]"]

This gives the range and remaining Amp in CCA window!
Kinda gets hot quick though, only need to hit the load switch for 5-10 seconds.

Attachments

• Battery100AmpLoadTester.jpg
    Battery100AmpLoadTester.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 0

mu2bdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's pretty slick. I'm going to check those out. I have a trickle charger but didn't want to give it an overnight slow charge only to have it fail again later at a more problematic time. How often so you charge the batteries and do you remove them or leave them in the tray?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
My C-tek 3.3 amp charger came with a quick disconnect.
I added one extra nut on the terminals to use the quick disconnect..
49631[/ATTACH]"]

I leave it plugged in often to keep my battery in top condition.
This will extend the life of any battery.
I also check to see if distilled water needs to be added in spring & fall.
Just a quick look to see if the electrolyte is a bit above each cell is good too.

Attachments

• BatteryChargerWithQuickDisconnect.jpg
    BatteryChargerWithQuickDisconnect.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 0

mu2bdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, guys. I'll have to check some of those out. Before now, I never really thought much about it: my Explorer battery lasted almost 10 years and I knew I was in for a battery when I bought my VW.