Taking out rear seats

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mk_v

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone taken their rear seats out for more room? I’ve been thinking about leaving the one passenger seat, and removing the wider seat. Anybody that has, did it add much more room? If I did, I wanted to build a platform to make the bench even (or as close to even as I can get) with the rear cargo so my dog could walk on a flat surface.

Thanks!

Mk

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Has anyone taken their rear seats out for more room? I’ve been thinking about leaving the one passenger seat, and removing the wider seat. Anybody that has, did it add much more room? If I did, I wanted to build a platform to make the bench even (or as close to even as I can get) with the rear cargo so my dog could walk on a flat surface.

Thanks!

Mk

If just leaving the narrow portion you'd have to have a pretty skinny butt. After taking out the other side looks pretty narrow.
I had both out for a while and built a sleeping platform back there worked pretty well
Not hard to remove them , they are bolted together though

mk_v

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If just leaving the narrow portion you'd have to have a pretty skinny butt. After taking out the other side looks pretty narrow.

I had both out for a while and built a sleeping platform back there worked pretty well

Not hard to remove them , they are bolted together though

The reason for leaving the skinny portion is because it’s mostly just me and my fiancé. I just wanted the option to have 1 in case I needed it. When you took them out, did it offer a lot more room than when they were in?

Thanks!

Mk

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
in some ways I wish the rear seats did what they do in a PT cruiser; they can fold down and then flip up. They also come out really stupid easy. It's astounding how big a box it becomes that way.

You must be registered for see images attach

folded flat.

that's with the back seats folded up.

You must be registered for see images

rear seats removed.

Last edited:

mk_v

Full Access Member
Reaction score
in some ways I wish the rear seats did what they do in a PT cruiser; they can fold down and then flip up. They also come out really stupid easy. It's astounding how big a box it becomes that way.

folded flat.

that's with the back seats folded up.

You must be registered for see images

rear seats removed.

Wow that makes tons more space on the pt. That would’ve been nice in the jeep. When I go hunting I can barely fit everything inside the jeep (base camp, coolers, etc).

I think I’m going to give it a shot next week. Any special tools needed? I’m guessing they used a torx bit for their anchor bolts, is that true? It’s in storage so I can’t look at the moment.

Mk

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Front wheel drive usually helps with seat stowage without removal. If they were easier to remove that would be nice. I've wanted the extra space a few times and have to take my truck.

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I had them removed to do the Raptor lining on the floors.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow that makes tons more space on the pt. That would’ve been nice in the jeep. When I go hunting I can barely fit everything inside the jeep (base camp, coolers, etc).

I think I’m going to give it a shot next week. Any special tools needed? I’m guessing they used a torx bit for their anchor bolts, is that true? It’s in storage so I can’t look at the moment.

Mk

When it comes to hauling stuff, it's really scary how much you can stuff in a PT Cruiser. I've always been two minds about the car; love and hate. Mom picked one up in 2006 and it's definitely been one of those vehicles that just grows on you like a warm sweater. I'll probably get a good used one one day.

mk_v

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I had them removed to do the Raptor lining on the floors.

How do you like the lining? That looks like a bunch more room. I was thinking on making a carpeted platform, with tie down points. I like the idea of a bed liner too

Mk

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since this is supposed to be a thread about back seats and KJs, during my latest snow plowing event I had a thought... what if one were to remove the back seats, build a partition the width and height of the interior, positioned halfway of the depth of where the back seats are. Thus creating a rear storage space behind the front seats (much like a pickup), and segregating the "passenger" compartment from the "cargo" area. Then do something involving the elimination of the rear hatch glass and door, creating almost like a pickup type bed but with a roof. I'd probably want to make some kind of plastic/vinyl covering for the back, but thereby giving me the ability to carry say a snow blower, shovels, and some gas cans, but not have the rear glass open and letting all that cold air and snow into the passenger compartment.

Possibly having the ability to reverse the process would be nice, but if I made a dedicated "pickup" type liberty, that wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

Last edited:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
^ I can't guess how it would strike me were it to actually be done, but it is an intriguing idea.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
picture it like a pickup with a cap on it. but the "cap" is the current roof line of the liberty, aft the mid-line of the rear passenger doors, and the front of the bed/back of the cab is a panel you've put in that divides the rear seating area across the width of the interior. Thinking a large main panel that you slide in to do the bulk of the dividing, and 2 filler pieces on the sides to make it so it's tight to the inside of the doors, to seal the compartment.