Taillight assembly removal ?????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

guitarzen

Reaction score
Hey gent’s
Gotta ticket in my 04 Libby sport. Driver’s side brake and taillight out. Now, I can’t figure out how to get the blasted thing out/off… I went ahead and replaced all the bulbs in the passenger side taillight with no problems. How do you get the driver side off?

Thanks..

guitarzen

Reaction score
"Assembly" read the post. Couldn't see the damn screws for the Mucked up location.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
That was fast, considering we had almost identical topic going on at the same time..

guitarzen

Reaction score
Sorry hyedipin, I saw a quick reply that was deleted rather quickly. "Q-ball" or what ever his name was , wanted to know how freak'n hard is it to change a bulb....

Plus the first "tail light" post went up while I was typing mine, didn't see it until after I sent mine in

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
No problem. Hopefully you got it fixed.

boebr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay... the guy that started this thread had his LH tail/brake light out... my LH was out when i bought the jeep 2 months ago. I replaced it days after buying it. and the LH is out again! what gives? anyone else getting short life on their 3157LL bulbs? or someone have something to suggest might be causing me a problem?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay... the guy that started this thread had his LH tail/brake light out... my LH was out when i bought the jeep 2 months ago. I replaced it days after buying it. and the LH is out again! what gives? anyone else getting short life on their 3157LL bulbs? or someone have something to suggest might be causing me a problem?
Cheap bulbs and your greasy finger prints on the bulb equals short life.Almost 8 years on all my OEM bulbs besides headlights and fogs.

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score

I have a front marker that is like that,just carry extra bulb. to OP I used a tree to get mine off,made it real simple to replace.

lynxer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My drivers side bulb is out too! I havent replaced it because I am to lazy to F around with that sides light. Now I see its not to bad. Next year when I buy a new liberty I am going to tell them to put a passenger side bulb in my drivers side lens. Maybe it will save a head ache ;)

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Torx Bit & Long life bulbs

The driver's side rear is a bugger to get off. My torx screws were on so tight, I went to a mechanic that had a longer pro bit driver, to get them loosened.
Always look for the Sylvania or GE ( LL ) Long life bulbs. Use a very lite coating of die-electric grease around side of bulb base and contact ends. Clean bulb w/ Windex or alcohol before/after installing.
If one bulb is gone, I will generally replace them all at once, then you are good to go for years generally.
Before putting those screws back in, I used some lithium grease and did not over tighten them, to make removal easier next time.

Last edited:

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cheap bulbs and your greasy finger prints on the bulb equals short life.Almost 8 years on all my OEM bulbs besides headlights and fogs.

So I guess Chrysler assembly line people must be using cheap bulbs and installing them with greasy fingers... 'cause I've lost two factory-installed bulbs.

Last edited:

boebr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
see, this one got a little hotter than my last one. i know about the greasy prints problem, this looks like i may not have gotten all of it off, but i'm usually pretty careful about that... the one that was in it before i put this one in actually melted it's base a little
You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

boebr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oh, and it was a sylvania long life
You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

boebr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
got this pic back up... i know what happened... i was on my twit pic page, which is where all these pics are hosted, and deleted a couple of pics, it must have changed the address of all the rest of the pics

boebr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

here we go, maybe this pic will stay up... argh!

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
All mine work, switched to LED Signals for the back.

Check to see if you are getting water in the lens where that bulb is blown out. I see it literally BLEW up, with a hole in it... I have only seen that with rapid cooling, due to water exposure, or the vent tubes are clogged and it gets too hot in the enclosure. I don't think the rears have vent tubes in them either.

For the entire time I had my Avenger, I did not have to replace ONE bulb! I only put in better headlamp bulbs after I bought it. Then 7 years later, clear front signals with Amber LEDs. The rear tails were never, EVER changed, nor was the center brake light bulbs; and the headlamps I put in never went out. That was the first car I ever owned where I never had to change a bulb by burn-out.

Last edited:

boebr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there a special part number for those led taillights? or just another xx57 variant?