Taillight assembly removal ?????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

loves_off_roading

Full Access Member
Reaction score
http://www.ehow.com/how_4898498_cha...ce=yahoo&utm_medium=ssp&utm_campaign=yssp_art

I want to give my two cents on this. First of all get your bulb from the shop. The Cryler installed lightbulbs blow. I've owned my liberty for three months now and had to replace both of the rear brake lights.

And second of all why does Crysler have to make the tailights so difficult to take it out? It took me and my dad a half hour to replace one light. It's like they make the car so you have to take it to shop and pay tons of money to fix it.

I love my Jeep but I wished it was still owned by AMC.

Last edited:

BigRich201

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow. all u people had a really hard time changing the left side. when my left side brake light bulb went out the only problems i encountered were stripped screws and a missing alignment clip. other then that it came out pretty easy with no problem.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow. all u people had a really hard time changing the left side. when my left side brake light bulb went out the only problems i encountered were stripped screws and a missing alignment clip. other then that it came out pretty easy with no problem.

I used explosives for mine. Assembly came right off.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
WOW!
You folks must have really special Jeep Liberty's!
Aside from having some bulbs burn out I have never had any problems what so ever!
The removal of a tail light assembly is not rocket science!
Use your eyes!
Like I said, it's not rocket science!

Just how hard can removing a tail light assembly be???

guitarzen

Reaction score
1 year later - Tail light issue again.

Hello sir's
Back again with problems to that same driver-side tail light. Over that past year I've replaced 3 bulbs in the 'brake' socket. 4 months ago cop pulls me over for the brake light being out (wtf). Now it seems no matter what I put in it, it wont burn when I step on the brake; everything else works fine..I've pulled the sockets out and tried pushing down on the contacts (pin's), sprayed electrical contact cleaner in the plug and cleaned the points. I'm at whit's end with it... (I've also noticed that other Liberty's I see seem to have that same brake-light out.)
I'm aware of most/some of my options but if anyone has had a similar problem or some great advice about what you would do; please help a brother out.

Thanks,
Bob in Nashville...:confused:

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
Wish I could help... that is the same bulb that burnt on my KJ. I replaced it with an OEM bulb (untouched by human hands) and it has been burning brightly for 8 months. Someone will chime in hopefully!

guitarzen

Reaction score
Thanks Luke. I've done the same thing with the gloves, still didn't light-up for me. Now the blinker shares the same bulb, but a different element inside the bulb, the blinker blinks, but no break light.... I'm stumped... Does anyone know a safe site to buy parts from? Maybe I need a new socket... geeez, this *****... thanks all......

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
I've had the same problem with the left tail light.
Put a multi meter on the brake light contact and get somebody to depress the brake pedal for you and see if you are getting any electricity back there.
It could be that you have a poor/intermittent contact wire, bad ground/short, or an occasional power spike for some reason.
The problem on ours was a bad contact in the bulb socket itself. Rather than cut it off and replace it (I'm a Dutchman=Cheap bastard!) I dis assembled it and repaired it!
(My favorite hobby is automotive wiring BTW... I own 2 British cars. Need I say more?:D )
I also had some brand new bulbs that were just defective. One worked if you gave it an abrupt jolt, then got super bright and turned off! Then worked fine for a little while. that one met the fate of the bottom of my size 13 boot sole!
Others were just plain possessed!
They too got the size 13 treatment!
I've thought of going with L.E.D. bulbs all alround, but don't like the idea of spending more money on a little electronic device that makes sure that the bulbs flash at a normal rate instead of strobing! Another $40.00+ dollars saved. That, and the partsman that I've been going to for the last 26 years told me that he has had to replace so many under warranty that it just ain't funny!
He even had one guy come in demanding to pay the ticket the cop wrote him!
RIGHT!

Keep at 'er. Wiggle all the wiring one by one with the brake pedal depressed. Eventually you will find the problem.
If you and I lived closer, I'd be there in a heart beat and give you a hand with it!
I made my first electrical circuit when I was 3 years old.
I taped to wires to a small light bulb and plugged them into a wall socket!
BOOOM!!!

I ended up on the other side of the living room with an afro!

Hmmm...
Maybe that's why I have brain damage!:D
Just look at my avatar!:D

Latest posts

Members online