Tailgate Question - Probably wishful thinking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trooper

Reaction score
Anyone ever consider converting the swing gate on a KJ to a drop down tailgate? I'm sure it's probably not possible, but I would think there would be a way to install two hinges and a catch on the left side so it would work.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
I'm sure it could be done.
If customizers can turn a four door Jeep Liberty into a two door...
First off though, Why?
What would be the benefit for you?
Or is it just for the sake of being custom.
Also, where would you put the spare tire? Roof? Inside?

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever consider converting the swing gate on a KJ to a drop down tailgate? I'm sure it's probably not possible, but I would think there would be a way to install two hinges and a catch on the left side so it would work.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Not sure why you want to do that...it would be pretty difficult.
Do you want to use the gate as a work/serving area? Much easier to keep the existing setup and add a horizontal shelf in the load area that slides out on rails when needed.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd rather convert the whole thing to swing up like a wagon's hatch, but there's no way that'll happen without some major reworking of the entire rear assembly. and yea it would obliterate any chances of keeping the spare on the back.

Trooper

Reaction score
No real reason. Just like the drop down tailgate works better than always having to swing it open. Also more difficult if I would ever have to haul any longer objects where I could just leave the tailgate down. Don't really need the spare tire. Almost all insurance includes roadside service for free. But those times I would go trail riding, I would just throw in back or on top. Thanks for responding.

Neb1373

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No real reason. Just like the drop down tailgate works better than always having to swing it open. Also more difficult if I would ever have to haul any longer objects where I could just leave the tailgate down. Don't really need the spare tire. Almost all insurance includes roadside service for free. But those times I would go trail riding, I would just throw in back or on top. Thanks for responding.

Long items would be hard. I've thought about it a couple times and there is no real way of doing anything except stuff hanging out the glass which it sits on the top of the gate!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.