Tailgale adjustment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RIPGTP1997

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I have this annoying rattle when I go over unsmooth roads from my tailgate. Simple question, how do I asjust it to get rid of this rattle? :-k

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look at the catch latch and the little plastic piece on the Jeep, right under the catch latch. Adjust those down usually so they sit right in the middle of their respective counterparts when the door is closed. Helps quite a bit.

DMAZZ

Reaction score
I re-adjusted the catch for my swinggate, and it did improve the rattle. I know the noise I am hearing is inside the swinggate. It sounds like the rod for the handle or some metal structure inside the gate is rattling against the inside of the body.

Does anyone know how easy and or difficult pulling the plastic from the inside of the gate is? I'm about to just pull on it as hard as I can and I know it will come off. I'd prefer to know how to do it the right way though.

Please help

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you mean the Swing Gate Trim Panel "plastic," yes, it just pops off, no bolts or edge screws, which is very unusual.

You must be registered for see images

DMAZZ

Reaction score
Thank You! I'll be headed out to pop that off right now.

DMAZZ

Reaction score
Came off easy, Went back on a little harder. There is absolutely nothing in there to cause a rattle.

Guess I'll sleep better knowing I got in there. Thanks!

Cableguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RIPGTP1997 said:
Hey everyone, I have this annoying rattle when I go over unsmooth roads from my tailgate. Simple question, how do I asjust it to get rid of this rattle? :-k

Also, Pop the glass open. Look at the latch for the glass on the tailgate. You should see a small black plastic square and then the catch. Put some grease on the black plastic square thingy. It will keep the hook on the window from rattling the plastic pad.

DMAZZ

Reaction score
I actually put a square piece of adhesive rubber on that "square thingy" about an 1/8" thick and that seemed to stop the glass rattle, but it has since fallen off. I'll clean and grease it tommorrow to see if that helps it even more.

I drove about 25 miles tonight and the rattle was certainly not as apparrent as it was before the latch adjustment. I'll keep trying to dampen and find that dreaded rattle though.

Thanks again for the responses, I'm obviously new to this forum but have had my Liberty since November 2nd of 2001 and still love that thing.

I'll continue to update my Rattle progress here as I go.

Cableguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DMAZZ said:
I actually put a square piece of adhesive rubber on that "square thingy" about an 1/8" thick and that seemed to stop the glass rattle, but it has since fallen off. I'll clean and grease it tommorrow to see if that helps it even more.

I drove about 25 miles tonight and the rattle was certainly not as apparrent as it was before the latch adjustment. I'll keep trying to dampen and find that dreaded rattle though.

Thanks again for the responses, I'm obviously new to this forum but have had my Liberty since November 2nd of 2001 and still love that thing.

I'll continue to update my Rattle progress here as I go.

Never thought about doing rubber, it's an interesting idea though. The grease seems to work pretty well. Only catch is that you have to re-grease it once and a blue moon.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
How long does one have to keep a Liberty to hear the tailgate rattle? What does it sound like? My sister has 30k on her Libby and I have yet to hear it or any other rattles in her interior.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Marlon_JBT said:
How long does one have to keep a Liberty to hear the tailgate rattle? What does it sound like? My sister has 30k on her Libby and I have yet to hear it or any other rattles in her interior.

I'm at 80K, and I have it now. It bugs the hell outta me.

DMAZZ

Reaction score
Just hit 90K and I really want the rattle gone. If there are any other "rattlers" out there help us track this down. I know once someone finds the source we can all fix it.

I try something about 2-3 times a week and will continue.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was told it was body flex from the rear spare tire. They messed with some of the sheetmetal on the mount inside the door, it went away for a day, and then returned.

DMAZZ

Reaction score
That sounds spot-on. So all I have to do is take off the spare? That's great, and not likely.

I wonder if I could force something soft in the side of the spare or under it on the bottom to give it more support?

I'll try a towel at first and if that helps I'll look for something more permanent.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I just adjusted the latch a little and mine went away, seemed worse when it was colder also, anyone else notice that

DMAZZ

Reaction score
It was in the 70's here today and it's still as loud as ever.

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like Oreos. I had not eaten one in 10 years because they are nothing but pressed molded fat, but damn these things are tasty.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
socks said:
Good day,
Our Liberty has 80,000 miles on the clock with only one rattle, the centre arm rest when the passenger rests their arm on it.

Yep. Mine has that one too.

Members online

No members online now.