tail light tinting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dejesu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is finally complete!

originally tried to tint with Black Magic 'Premium' 35% Window tint... and this was a terrible experience, i don't even want to get into it... :favorites68:

You must be registered for see images attach

i then decided to get some VHT Night Shade spray, and it worked like a charm! i bought Krylon acrylic enamel clear coat, and i didn't even need to use it. only one coat of VHT was necessary! :emoticondancer:

BEFORE!

AFTER! :smokin:

Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
What do you plan on doing with the green pepper? It would be good on a pizza. :D

Anyway, looks great.

dejesu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sorry for 3 posts in a row, but here's the night time picture. the light glows as if there's no tint at all. (for the record, i also tinted the 3rd tail light)

Neb1373

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i was a little nervous too, but the light shines through no problem! i'll post a pic later

I know they shine through just fine, I tinted some corners and my 3rd on my miata, but when messing with the reflectors a cop around here will pull you over just to duck with you. I just don't want to even risk it.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Too dark for my taste, I like them all red instead of all dark cherry red.
Did you do any prep? And is that really just one coat? I have seen a few people do 3 coats, and theirs were nowhere this dark. Maybe because they kept sanding in between coats and finished with a clear coat?

OK, last question, did you the 3rd brake light?

All I want in mine is the sides, leaving the round areas stock. My aftermarket tails look whitish on the edges, which I really hate. But now that I hardwired my driver side with no harness in between, I can't really do this..

Akedos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you nightshade the third light too? Can't see it in the second pic.

dejesu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Too dark for my taste, I like them all red instead of all dark cherry red.
Did you do any prep? And is that really just one coat? I have seen a few people do 3 coats, and theirs were nowhere this dark. Maybe because they kept sanding in between coats and finished with a clear coat?

OK, last question, did you the 3rd brake light?

All I want in mine is the sides, leaving the round areas stock. My aftermarket tails look whitish on the edges, which I really hate. But now that I hardwired my driver side with no harness in between, I can't really do this..

the only prep work was wiping down the tail lights with, well what i used, was auto glass cleaner, which i'm sure Windex would have the same outcome, then i sprayed one coat. maybe my one coat was thicker than other people's coats? i don't know..

i did do the third brake light, but it kinda orange peeled. the third brake light was the only light i clear coated out of the 3, and that may be the reason for the orange peeling.

Did you nightshade the third light too? Can't see it in the second pic.

yessir i did... and one coat of the Krylon acrylic enamel clear-coat.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Two or three light coats works way better than one heavy coat. Been using the Niteshades for 10 years or longer on a lot of different rides of mine. I did 3 coats over the main body of the light and only one coat over the lense part so the po-po wouldn't get me too bad LOL My first set I had on here had 3 coats over the whole light though. There are pics of mine (04 Black KJ ) somewhere on here I'm sure
heres a distant shot I'll try to find a closer one

Last edited:

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There have been other posts on tinting the tail lights but not complete tinting. I like tommud's tail lights and plan to do the same idea.

Are you positive that's street legal to tint the lens's? It's not legal in my province.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
What tom did was he taped up perfect round mask for the lights and he did 3 coats and then a single coat on rounds. I think it looks pretty goodl

Neb1373

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What tom did was he taped up perfect round mask for the lights and he did 3 coats and then a single coat on rounds. I think it looks pretty goodl

I really like that idea. I may think about that if I decide to paint my fender flares/bumpers. Definitely looks great on a black jeep.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Pictures don't show it that way but they are darker even than how it shows