Electrical Nightmare

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sch

Reaction score
so my 2005 Liberty has caught a new bug.
The other day I swapped out the ASD relay. I had bought it a while back when I was contending with a random cylinder misfire code, got the code to clear, and just put the part in before I misplaced it, whatever.
I regret this decision.
Car won't start - I mean has no power. No brake lights, no horn, nothing. Put the key in, turn it... nothing. No clicking, no dinging, nothing.
Double checked battery and cleaned/re-set connections, nothing.
Double checked the ground, cleaned re-set connection, nothing.
I replaced the ignition switch, still nothing.
Started testing circuits and double/triple checking all the fuses and relays.
Here's what I've got...
In the cabin, fuses 13 and 14 have no power.
Fuse 13 says - Body Control Module, CMTC, Instrument Cluster
Fuse 14 says - PDC, Starter Relay, Ignition, Engine Controller.
In the Power Distributor (fuses under the hood) 28 has no power.
Fuse 28 is the Starter relay.
So I have 0 power to these on either side (tested fuses, replaced fuses, still nothing, took a circuit tester to the terminals, nothing.)
While testing the circuits, it also appeared to me that numbers 21, 31, and 32 were wayyyy weak.
I wanted to confirm the starter was getting power, but as I was not anticipating working on my jeep, it's in a terrible parking lot. I'm a lanky guy but I can't get under it.
To make matters worse, the rear window was open, so I can't even close it because of the electronic lock. So I had to tape my window shut and hope none of the millions of vagrants in the area decide to take a dump in my car.
I'm at wits end. Any advice would be radical.
Thanks and all the best.

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you check all the fuses under the hood. It could be possible that one is blown. I would also try starting it in neutral and see what happens. As a test what happens when you turn the headlights on? If they are not getting any power I would suggest that they fuses under the hood called JB Power are bad or are blown.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I doubt it but can you swap the old ASD relay back in and see if anything changes? Sounds like something got fried.

Isn't there a fusible link out in the power distribution center under the hood? Maybe it got fried.

sch

Reaction score
Yes, definitely checked all the fuses and links.
Starting in Neutral also yielded nothing.
Thanks for the advice!
I did end up testing the old ASD relay and that's what has been in for most of this trouble shooting.
Thanks for your input!

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You may have fried the BCM if nothing is working at all. I would try jumping the starter relay and seeing if the starter turns over, then I would also do the same for the fuel pump.

sch

Reaction score
Well, as no shops in the area wanted to take it once they heard the problem was electrical, I just kept at it.
Took apart, cleaned and re-seated all the connections, fuses, relays, etc.
Double checked all the grounds I could find in the engine bay, took the terminals off the battery and cleaned them all, put it back together, and it worked.
Wish I knew what exactly did it, but I must have adjusted 20-30 things between attempts, so who knows.
Thanks for all the input though!

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Glad you got it working. Electrical problems are the worst, they don't even have the common decency to tell you where they are.