Tackling the gurgling noise.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As many of you may know the liberty is notorious for getting air in the system after a fill or a part change. My radiator, engine and heatercore and hoses and thermostat are all new. But I keep getting that running water noise. Now correct me if I'm wrong but I got sick of it so today I ordered a coolant vacuum kit to get all the air out and fill it up. Be nice if it came tomorrow but who knows. Any who, anyone have any ideas on the best way to get rid of the air pockets when bleeding normally? I've heard jacking the front end up but that doesn't really make sense being the bleeder is the highest point for air to Travel but man that heatercore loves to make friends with air.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
find a steep hill, nose up on it. and let the air bubble up? :D

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Ya I had gurgling for a few days in the core.
Basically it took a few days of letting it cool overnight, top up Hoat to cold line at reservoir.
Drive it, get Jeep Hot, loosen bleed air screw slightly until no bubbles and fluid slowing coming out.
Repeat for 4 days.
Overnight the reservoir should drop a bit, if not try filling hoat thru bleed screw once removed, with a small funnel.
Did you install a new Mopar thermostat with the bleed hole?

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya I had gurgling for a few days in the core.
Basically it took a few days of letting it cool overnight, top up Hoat to cold line at reservoir.
Drive it, get Jeep Hot, loosen bleed air screw slightly until no bubbles and fluid slowing coming out.
Repeat for 4 days.
Overnight the reservoir should drop a bit, if not try filling hoat thru bleed screw once removed, with a small funnel.
Did you install a new Mopar thermostat with the bleed hole?
Yes it's a Mopar one. But ever since the engine was installed (reman not used) they used regular coolant and told me not to switch to HOAT

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Many of the waterpumps for KJ incl OEM utilize a plastic Impeller...
Not using Hoat can damage the impeller= the need for Hoat.

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Many of the waterpumps for KJ incl OEM utilize a plastic Impeller...
Not using Hoat can damage the impeller= the need for Hoat.
Well................ I don't know then. Never had issues with the water pump. Neither did my grandpa who was the only other owner and always hard regular coolant in it. Not sure what I should do but I do know that I'm draining all the coolant replacing the thermostat just in vase even though I just did with a Mopar one with another Mopar one, vacuum the system and fill it.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Another non hoat concern would be the chemistry for a steel block & aluminum heads.
Really now that you have regular coolant in the system, a complete flush would be required to return it safely to Hoat.
You can't mix the two and the best flush would be done on a dealer re-circulating machine now. No DIY hard water flush for me thanks.