Synthetic Oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tyam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello I have a 2004 kj with 84,000 miles on it. I was wondering would synthetic be a better choice or should I just use conventional?

Thanks
Tyam

TAwesome

Pizza Pimp
Reaction score
This is just my experience but my 2002 with 127k gained 1.5 mpg's with the use of mobil1 synthetic and a mobil1 filter! Again my experience!

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
A good synthetic should not be a problem. Less carbon by-products, better cleaning properties, and better flow rate.
I Use Mobil 1 and started using it since 30 k miles and always use a quality filter: Mobil1,Purolator. I use a K&N oil filter as it has a 1"inch nut on the bottom and makes it easy to remove. I Change the synthetic oil out at 3500-4000 miles period.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am using Valvoline Synthetic in 5w30 and Purolator Gold. Change it myself every 3,500-4,000 miles.

Dave

SurfGuitar141

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I purchased my '05 KJ new, changed the factory oil at 3,000 miles to Mobile1, and have always used high grade filters. With the synthetic I push my oil changes to every 5,000 miles and no problems at all.
My next change is just a couple hundred miles away, and I will be using the Castrol synthetic and a K&N filter on this one....(the Castrol was on sale at Advanced Auto Parts).....

Vtolds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just switched to Valvoline Max Life which is a synthetic blend. If you register at valvoline.com and use there oil you get a engine warranty as long as your engine is not modified.

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wife's Kj is a 2002 has over 130K and she bought it used last summer. the previous owners abused the engine and the was sludge in it and lite black smoke shooting out of the black.The o2 sensor kept going off too. I put in mobil-1 full synth in and all that went away. In fact, the last oil change I did on it was in Sept of 2009. and it still running better than ever.

I change oil on both of our KJs every six months (every March and every Sept) I got to my 06 KJ in march but b/c of our wedding in May this year i never got to her's b/c of all the planing and what not. In fact, I Think after this sept I'm switching my KJ to doing an oil change once a year. I've put on maybe 1000 since April. Mine hardly moves b/c i have a company Van. Hell, you can go long times in between changes with full synth. Depending on your driving of course.

CRD Joe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use Amsoil European Car formula with an Amsoil EA026 (CRD) filter. Synthetic is far superior in its lubricity capability, and it allows you to go longer in between changes so you can compensate for the added cost. If youre going to go synthetic dont change your oil before 5,000 miles or your wasting your money.

Clyde Frog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use Mobil 1 fully synthetic 10w30 with a Purolator PureOne oil filter. My KJ has been MUCH happier since I've starting using the Mobil 1.

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've 129,956 Kms on my KJ, been running synthetic since new. The oil it left the factory with lasted 500 kms. Change it religiously every 3125mi/5000kms. I beat the crap outta my KJ and it hasn't let me down. I switch between Mobil1, Castrol Edge and Royal Purple. Whichever happens to be on sale at the time. This time it happens to be Mobil1. Oil change later this aft...

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use Amsoil European Car formula with an Amsoil EA026 (CRD) filter. Synthetic is far superior in its lubricity capability, and it allows you to go longer in between changes so you can compensate for the added cost. If youre going to go synthetic dont change your oil before 5,000 miles or your wasting your money.
False,you need a have your oil tested before going past the recommended OEM change interval.

But for the cost of testing it might as well just change it.

Great another useless oil thread.

Just use what you want and change it when the owners manual states(3k or 3 months) and you will be just fine.There is ZERO real world benefit from using synthetic anymore,and in some cases you can do more harm using synthetic then good old dyno oil.

loves_off_roading

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s the perfect time to switch to synthetic. I switch to synthetic at 80k. It will help clean out your engine thus allowing it to run longer. Synthetic is much better than conventional oil. It's more slippery which won't put as much stress on your engine. And it won't break down easily like conventional oil does.

loves_off_roading

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also I recommend using Mobil 1 Full Synthetic. A Purolator classic filter is a good choice as well because there not as expensive as the Mobil 1’s.

CRD Joe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
False,you need a have your oil tested before going past the recommended OEM change interval.

But for the cost of testing it might as well just change it.

Great another useless oil thread.

Just use what you want and change it when the owners manual states(3k or 3 months) and you will be just fine.There is ZERO real world benefit from using synthetic anymore,and in some cases you can do more harm using synthetic then good old dyno oil.

You dont HAVE to do anything! I know plenty of people that run analysis at 10,000 and the oil is fine. As for testing it, ok so since when is it cheaper to change 6+ quarts of oil and a filter than spending 20.00 on an analysis??

Look TK, I respect what youve done with you truck but if you really believe that there is no benefit from using synthetic oil youre not very smart! It lubricates infinitely better than dyno. The detergent packages work and last much much longer. Etc etc etc. I dont get you. As far as doing damage, that's not true. Usually the complaint some people have is that they started using synthetic and their engine started leaking. What that means is the synthetic cleaned things up so much so that the leak started. Well if that's true you needed to repair the leak in the first place!

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You dont HAVE to do anything! I know plenty of people that run analysis at 10,000 and the oil is fine. As for testing it, ok so since when is it cheaper to change 6+ quarts of oil and a filter than spending 20.00 on an analysis??

Look TK, I respect what youve done with you truck but if you really believe that there is no benefit from using synthetic oil youre not very smart! It lubricates infinitely better than dyno. The detergent packages work and last much much longer. Etc etc etc. I dont get you. As far as doing damage, that's not true. Usually the complaint some people have is that they started using synthetic and their engine started leaking. What that means is the synthetic cleaned things up so much so that the leak started. Well if that's true you needed to repair the leak in the first place!
Yes sometimes you can go longer,many times you can not a suffer accelerated engine wear doing extended drains.

Oh and for synthetic oils and greater damage then old dyno..............

Just call Hi9 or Currie and ask about synthetic gear oil,you'll get a earful.Ask any engineer why the drain/refill has been shortened to 15,000miles for diffs now with synthetic oils.

Basically synthetic oils are really not that there hyped up to be anymore with fill capacities are getting smaller and dyno oils transfer heat much better then synthetic oils which with a small capacities you want dyno oils for longer life.Granted you will take a small hit in mpg's with dyno but longer life is so much better then trying to save money on "longer lasting" synthetic oils.Who cares if the oil lasts longer if your engine/trans/t-case/diffs do not?

CRD Joe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive not heard that. Im going to have to look into that. Ill call Currie and ask about it.

So with engine capacities being 6+ quarts it wouldnt seem applicable in engine situations.

Thanks.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive not heard that. Im going to have to look into that. Ill call Currie and ask about it.

So with engine capacities being 6+ quarts it wouldnt seem applicable in engine situations.

Thanks.
My eyes have been opened over the last few years from learning the truth right from the horses mouth,even if it to bad mouth there own products in the process.

It seems like engine oil with it's different additives using syn or dyno does not much matter due to cooling system.In non-forced cooled components like your diffs and with a different additive package it does severely matter.

Now what material that component is made out of also has a major effect.Aluminum dissipates heat better then iron so you can get away with running syn,but iron components will live longer with dyno oils.

Now with all that being said I still would never recommend going past what is recommended for drain/refill without the oil being tested.Have many had no issues with longer intervals? Yes, but many also have not had such good luck,even running synthetic oils.I get to see the end result of those unlucky people,there wallets are never happy.$30 every 3000 miles is a bargain compared to a $5000 repair bill.