Synthetic oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
No, I never heard of that, recycled motor oil... From what I read before, it consists of ALL chemical compounds, those that are not originally present in crude oil (petroleum), but were synthesized from other compounds; including diesters, polyolesters, alklylated napthlenes, alkyklated benzenes, polyglycols, bla bla bla.

Amsoil synthetic is stricly made from PAO (Polyalphaolefin), most other Syns are not. PAO is also derived from chemical processes, and does not come from the processes used to refine petroleum-based oils. It is totally different. Amsoil is supposed to be the best besides Royal Purple.

There are dangers to using Synthetic oils, especially in older push-rod/roller lifter engines, and old leaded gas engines. Todays NEW engines, probably no problems, but they say not to use it as a break in oil. Mazda says it's not suitable for their rotary engine, or maybe the older RX7s, but not sure on the RX8 Genesis motor ... So many different opinions...

Me? I use it, think it's better.

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
Those are?

Older pushrod engines with Roller Lifters; The roller may not spin with camshaft movement, but rather slide while the roller remains either stationary or at lower circumferential speeds than the camshaft lobe.

Synthetics do not hold lead in suspension as well as DINO oil, so they advise caution when the engine is run on leaded fuel.

dhdenney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Older pushrod engines with Roller Lifters; The roller may not spin with camshaft movement, but rather slide while the roller remains either stationary or at lower circumferential speeds than the camshaft lobe.

Synthetics do not hold lead in suspension as well as DINO oil, so they advise caution when the engine is run on leaded fuel.

Never heard that at all. I use synthetic in my stroker engine and will in the turbo motor I just built. Both are hydraulic roller. I'm not too worried.

belvedere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hope you are joking. :eek:

No, I've got proof. One time, I dropped my oil drain plug in the waste oil pan, couldn't find it, and dumped it in with the waste oil to be recycled. A few months later, I bought some synthetic oil, and started to change my oil. As I was dumping one bottle in the funnel, out comes my drain plug! Good thing my funnel has one of those little screens in it. :^o

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
No, I've got proof. One time, I dropped my oil drain plug in the waste oil pan, couldn't find it, and dumped it in with the waste oil to be recycled. A few months later, I bought some synthetic oil, and started to change my oil. As I was dumping one bottle in the funnel, out comes my drain plug! Good thing my funnel has one of those little screens in it. :^o

Good one!!!

dhdenney

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Holy shit.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC

That was funny!

Last edited:

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score

Yes, That's 100% correct. They do not recycle DINO oil for Synthetic, however, they have been known to recycle drain plugs. Many people lose their drain plugs in the same manner, and it's a costly problem. They restructure the drain plug to work better with Synthetic oil, by submerging it in the oil, then simply leave it in the bottle for conditioning. The real problem is; matching the plug to the area where it came from, and hope the original owner gets it back, but the odds of that happening are millions to one. Once you receive your recycled drain plug, you can return the one you bought for a full refund. Any container that has a recycled drain-plug should have a removable tag on the label, so the store will accept the return unconditionally.