Synthetic oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I know, I was being sarcastic!:rolleyes:
But, at the end of the day, those "additives" are still made out of a petro-chemical!

Yes, a lot of products tart somewhere with sludge pulled out of the ground. But again, so far removed, it would be like calling Coca-Cola "water".

belvedere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
those "additives" are still made out of a petro-chemical!

Where do you get this information?

The closest thing I can think of is that most oils use a small amount of grp I as a carrier for the additives, since they are more soluble in grp I.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Where do you get this information?

The closest thing I can think of is that most oils use a small amount of grp I as a carrier for the additives, since they are more soluble in grp I.

So, what are the additives made out of then?
The chemicals used are still derived from oil!
Or are they vegetable based?:D
Or animal?
Seriously, synthetic oil might have been refined to a point where it is totally chemically engineered, but the base material still comes out of the ground!
You seem to forget that everything that come off the Planet Earth was natural at some point in its life!
Also, another gripe.
Dinosaurs walked the Earth a very Long time ago.
Most oil is found very deep under ground and under oceans, seas, etc.
Just how did those dinosaurs get there?
A very close friend of mine is a senior Petro Chemical engineer for Royal Dutch Shell.
You ask these people "Dino" oil is just name. Oil has been on the Planet Earth long before dinosaurs were.
Also, I have many many religious friends who don't think and believe that dinosaurs ever existed. (Dinosaur bones that have been found over the last hundred years were put there by the Devil himself! Sure, whatever!)
Yet if oil comes from dinosaurs, they will believe that!:rolleyes:
Hypercritical eh?

Whatever, just having fun!
Next oil change I'll be going with fully synthetic oil. Even at 178000 Km.

Cheers
Ry'

Searcher67

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sythetic oil

Its never too late to switch...... I have been running sythetic in all my vehicles since it came out. I got my Libby with 60,000+- and right away put in 0W30 Synthetic (full NOT BLEND) year round!

A full synthetic oil change costs me 26.00 for the oil 9.50 for the filter I use Tough Guard filters.

belvedere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Or are they vegetable based?:D
Or animal?

Common oil adds include sodium, boron, calcium, magnesium, phosphorous, zinc, molybdenum, etc. Now, you tell me which of these comes from crude oil. So, you're saying the crude comes out of the ground with the adds already in it? Interesting...

Seriously, synthetic oil might have been refined to a point where it is totally chemically engineered, but the base material still comes out of the ground!
You seem to forget that everything that come off the Planet Earth was natural at some point in its life!

So, every material is "natural", in your view, since it is made from things found here on earth? Fair enough.

A very close friend of mine is a senior Petro Chemical engineer for Royal Dutch Shell.

You should run some of your ideas by him.

Also, I have many many religious friends who don't think and believe that dinosaurs ever existed. (Dinosaur bones that have been found over the last hundred years were put there by the Devil himself! Sure, whatever!)
Yet if oil comes from dinosaurs, they will believe that!:rolleyes:
Hypercritical eh?

Interesting, I hadn't heard the "dinosaurs never existed" idea before, but I'm sure there are lots of theories out there. Personally, I'm a young earth creationist. I believe that the earth and everything on it were created by God over a literal seven day period, just like it says in Genesis. Though I haven't studied it in-depth (I plan to someday), I believe the earth to be 5000-10,000 years old, most likely in the 6000-7000 year range. I believe that humans and dinosaurs co-existed on the earth.

RenegadeJay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If dinosaurs became oil, and oil is an ingredient of tar, and the dinosaurs would fall victim to falling into tar pits and dying and becomming oil....which came first, the chicken or the egg?

LibertyOrDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If dinosaurs became oil, and oil is an ingredient of tar, and the dinosaurs would fall victim to falling into tar pits and dying and becomming oil....which came first, the chicken or the egg?

Bananas. :)

In my opinion natural means something in it's originally created state such as fruit, cotton, wood etc. Once you add additives or apply heat and pressure, such as when diamonds are formed from carbon, that changes. Natural does not mean non toxic though.

Last edited:

Searcher67

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, let me see if I get this right....My sis-in-law is a Dr. with a chemistry Doctorate, she explained the synthetic 710 debate...

Regular oil has spheres, rods and cones in its atoms/molecules with the emphasis being on rods and cones.

Synthetic oil has ALL spheres..

Now, obviously since rods and cones have edges they don't provide the protection that ALL spheres in synthetis oil does...

I haven't refreshed this with her BUT I will on Sunday when she gets here.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, let me see if I get this right....My sis-in-law is a Dr. with a chemistry Doctorate, she explained the synthetic 710 debate...

Regular oil has spheres, rods and cones in its atoms/molecules with the emphasis being on rods and cones.

Synthetic oil has ALL spheres..

Now, obviously since rods and cones have edges they don't provide the protection that ALL spheres in synthetis oil does...

I haven't refreshed this with her BUT I will on Sunday when she gets here.

It would make sense that synthetics have a uniformly shaped molecule-- or more uniformly shaped I should say.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Common oil adds include sodium, boron, calcium, magnesium, phosphorous, zinc, molybdenum, etc. Now, you tell me which of these comes from crude oil. So, you're saying the crude comes out of the ground with the adds already in it? Interesting...

So those minerals are not natural?

Interesting, I hadn't heard the "dinosaurs never existed" idea before, but I'm sure there are lots of theories out there. Personally, I'm a young earth creationist. I believe that the earth and everything on it were created by God over a literal seven day period, just like it says in Genesis. Though I haven't studied it in-depth (I plan to someday), I believe the earth to be 5000-10,000 years old, most likely in the 6000-7000 year range. I believe that humans and dinosaurs co-existed on the earth.

Well, that's interesting! "I believe the earth to be 5000-10,000 years old, most likely in the 6000-7000 year range"

Too each their own. I'm an athirst!
Out of curiosity, what about the people who were on this planet before Catholicism or Christianity, or other older religions from lets say China or Egypt?
Also, how come human skeletons have never been found along side (time line wise) during the dinosaur period? They don't back that far.

JJsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Classic. From a discussion of syn oil emerges some awesome religious discussion on a Jeep forum. You gotta love it. No wonder we Won't tolerate this sort of thing on LOST JEEPS. lol!

^^ Seriously?! Gotta know if that is what you really believe? If so, are the many people that believe that? If so again, Wow!

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Classic. From a discussion of syn oil emerges some awesome religious discussion on a Jeep forum. You gotta love it. No wonder we Won't tolerate this sort of thing on LOST JEEPS. lol!

^^ Seriously?! Gotta know if that is what you really believe? If so, are the many people that believe that? If so again, Wow!

Comeon JJ.....Dino's and humans did live at the same time........didn't you ever see the documentary with Fred Flintstone and Barney Rubble........geeeeezzzz....:D

Dave

belvedere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ryan-

Please don't twist my words. Of course the adds I listed are natural; I never said they weren't. I was saying that they don't come from crude oil, in response to what you said:

belvedere

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Didn't mean to offend you; I was just responding to Ryan's post about religion and dinosaurs.

Yes, there are people who believe the Bible; we're called Christians. Anyone who calls himself a Christian, but doesn't believe the Bible, is, well, not really a Christian.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score

Didn't mean to offend you; I was just responding to Ryan's post about religion and dinosaurs.

Yes, there are people who believe the Bible; we're called Christians. Anyone who calls himself a Christian, but doesn't believe the Bible, is, well, not really a Christian.

It stops here for me!
I am an atheist
I asked a long question...
I get a reply.

Cool!

Ry'

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have over 106,000 miles on my 04 sport. Can I change to Synthetic oil now? Or is it to late for that?

Ok........back to OP.......

I personally do not think you can hurt anything. Everything will mix and they make syn blends even. As to the seals and problems, if you are concerned then switch to a syn blend. From there you can always go to full syn or back to dino.

Just my opinion.

Dave