Switching lock door switch to windows controler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toples

Reaction score
Do anybody have already made this type a modification on a KJ 03.

On my door, I have the mirroir button and the power lock actuator switch. Can I simply swith my wire in the fuse box of my windows controle (there are in the main console) and replace it by my power lock switch

My power lock controle will be in my console and my windows control will be on the door ?

Does it seem right ?

Somebody has a electronic version of the wiring diagramme of a libby 03 sport ?

wait for you opinion
TpL

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
The power lock switches and power window switches are two totally different types of switches to start with.
The window switches in the centre console are all one unit including the rear window lock out switch.

The power door lock switch is also controlled by the Body Control Module (BCM), so the wiring Front the door locks would have to be extended to the centre console, and the power window wiring would have to be extended to the front doors...

Then, as I mentioned, because the window switches are all one piece, you would have to source new (to your vehicle) seperate window control switches.

I thought of doing this mod to our 2004 when we first bought it because I didn't like the position of the window controls, but it would be a major rewiring job to do it correctly.

But where there is a will there is a way!
Just depends on how badly you want it!

eyehatetofu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Leave it like it is. It is super annoying at first and you'll keep locking you Jeep trying to roll down the windows, but after like three months of being constantly frustrated, you'll get used to it. Then you'll go to drive someone elses car and go fiddlin' around their center console trying to roll down their damn windows.

belvedere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Leave it like it is. It is super annoying at first and you'll keep locking you Jeep trying to roll down the windows, but after like three months of being constantly frustrated, you'll get used to it. Then you'll go to drive someone elses car and go fiddlin' around their center console trying to roll down their damn windows.

LOL! Very true.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally I really like having the controls in the middle. Not sure Ill ever want another vehice that has them on the door.

I do not like the location on the 05+ kj's though.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Funny story
Had a conversation with a customer about the window switches in Libertys, we laughed about how any time somebody got in they immediately went for the lock button for the window.

Went out, got in her KJ (05-7) and, well
Any time you bring a vehicle in a bay, roll down the window. That way you don't look stupid if it locks you out with the keys in it.

ThunderbirdJunkie hit the door lock to roll the window down. He dropped the F bomb, and apparently the customer saw it.

She lol'd.

speedracerbubba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just think of it as a 1979 mercedes benz 300sd (they have the window switch on the console like the liberty).

Like Ryan said, you can do it if you are so inclined, but it is going to be involved. Also, you will have the rear windows controlled in the console with the door locks right above them and the front windows in the door(s), which seems like more thought than I would want to put into explaining to anyone who ever drives the jeep. Then again I am lazy and have a couple little electrical projects almost finished, just need to find and put into enclosures :)

toples

Reaction score
ok thanks for the response,

it's not very problematic for me but for the people who come into my car. But i bought this car for me not for other.

This seem to many job for the benefice i will get
thx for answer
TpL

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was doing the same thing when i got the KJ, but after about a month i got used to it. I actually prefer the switches in the center now as i can roll the windows up and down without moving my arm from the armrest.

I never really did like having window controls on the door of various vehicles i have owned, seems like you always have to bend your arm back to access them.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed.
I drive with my left hand, hold my black n mild and roll down the windows with my right. My friends who are in my jeep a lot are used to it. Other people get angry at it. lol

Everyone that gets in the back thinks you can't roll down the rear windows. :D

LOL... Yeah i had some back seat passengers thinking the same, then i told them where the window switches are but i didn't enable them, so they are like WTF dude the switches don't work anyway... It was funny...

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Nobody in the back seat is allowed to smoke, because of the design of the back windows not being conducive to sucking out butts and ashes.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
ThunderbirdJunkie just says no smoking in the back, because people don't pay attention, and butts blow back inside.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
No one is allowed to eat, drink (except for my coffee), smoke, touch the AC, or change the music in my KJ..... :D