Switched from Summer to Winter tires! What happened?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LONGJEEPOWNER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My summer tires are 225/75/16 and this year I acquired a set of studded 225/60/16 which I had mounted on a set of steel rims. I knew I would have a problem with the pressure sensors because there are none on the steel rims, but when I started to travel down the road my ESP, Traction Control, and brake light came on. I know why after some thought on the back tire size. I turned the Jeep off and restarted it and hit the traction control button to disable it. None of the other lights came on after a long ride!
My question is can I do any damage to the Jeep by running it in this fashion for the winter? Will I unnecessarily wear my brakes out? Will I do other damage?
any help from the community would be appreciated.
I would have bought the proper size tires as the front but Christmas has tapped me out....
Thanks in advance

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
My summer tires are 225/75/16 and this year I acquired a set of studded 225/60/16 which I had mounted on a set of steel rims. I knew I would have a problem with the pressure sensors because there are none on the steel rims, but when I started to travel down the road my ESP, Traction Control, and brake light came on. I know why after some thought on the back tire size. I turned the Jeep off and restarted it and hit the traction control button to disable it. None of the other lights came on after a long ride!
My question is can I do any damage to the Jeep by running it in this fashion for the winter? Will I unnecessarily wear my brakes out? Will I do other damage?
any help from the community would be appreciated.
I would have bought the proper size tires as the front but Christmas has tapped me out....
Thanks in advance
So you are running 225/60/16s on the rear and 225/75/16s on the front?
If so there is a big no no
225-60-16 is a 26.5 inch tall tire where as the 225-75-16 is a 29 inch tall tire
I assume you have 4 wheel drive but even 2 wheel drive you are undersizing on the rears which is going to throw everything out of whack

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
your location says Florida. I'm curious why you'd think you'd need studded tires there?

LONGJEEPOWNER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently moved back to Pa. and I guess I forgot to mention it is a 2wd. Florida jeep!!! LOL
All I need to know is am I going to do any harm to it if I run it with the Traction Control Disengaged?
Thanks

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I recently moved back to Pa. and I guess I forgot to mention it is a 2wd. Florida jeep!!! LOL
All I need to know is am I going to do any harm to it if I run it with the Traction Control Disengaged?
Thanks

If its 2 wheel drive you're OK, but running that samll of a tire is not good, too small for the KJ.
Guess you can not run the traction control, just don't wreck, Insurance will not like it

LONGJEEPOWNER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I saw the 2 inch height difference right away after they were mounted on the steel rims. I plan on getting 4 new tires in the Spring.
Thanks all for the info..

LONGJEEPOWNER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well here is an update to my rear tire change out!
Threw a whole bunch of idiot lights on the dashboard after about 5 miles of travel! LOL
Pulled the studded snow tires off and put the Wranglers back on, then called and ordered 2 new 225/75/16 studded snow tires. There goes the budget! LOL

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so, you're putting studded tires in the back, and keeping regulars up front?

You must be registered for see images

LONGJEEPOWNER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not 4wd so I don't know if that would make a difference? Tires that were on the truck are more than half tread but really bad for rear wheel drive traction! Last year I spent most of the winter at home... LOL

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Back in the early 70s my old DD was a 2 wheel drive Ford pickup, studded tires all the way around every winter
Was loud but man that old truck would go anywhere
I was running a tire shop so would try different brands etc
Had to go 35 miles on narrow very hilly roads to get to work
Back then when snow first fell there would be 30-40 cars lined up first thing in the morning
We'd stay open 12-14 hours a day during snow days

Last edited:

LONGJEEPOWNER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wish they made some like that now Tommudd!
Now we have all the electronic controls to contend with.. Makes them safer and better emissions but what a pain...

robert.janowski

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The difference in size is throwing the abs all out of wack. Bing the rears are smaller the computer is sensing a sliding wheel up front because it is turning fewer revelation per mile. So dangerous. Yes. If you go to hit the brakes it won't apply as much presure to the front because the abs is sensing a slide.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

LONGJEEPOWNER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had the tires on for about 2 weeks now and boy what a difference from last year!! This Libby will go everywhere I want it to go!!! Money well spent and I should have done it last year with all that snow we had.
My neighbor has a long inclined driveway and last year I was stuck there for 2 days till we can get the time to drag it up to the road. For the last 2 weeks I have been taking care of his animals because of his mother passing away out of state. I have been up and down that driveway more times than I can count. Twice a day for the animals and load the outdoor wood stove. We had a couple inches of snow but plenty of ice...