Suspension Travel vs Lockers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AlexKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Many XJ owners says that a XJ it's better than a KJ because of this:

You must be registered for see images

Aside both lifted the same wheel anyway, it's unfair to compare 2 modified vehicles (should be both standard) and even more if the preparation level of them it's so different...

But that being said, what is the point (aside of the "awesomness") of long articulation if you have locked axles?...

If you have open diffs and lift a wheel (prone to happen in a IFS vehicle), you lose traction in the front axle and your 4x4 is transformed into a RWD... if your rear axle doesn't have enough traction, you are toasted...

If you have open diffs, but you have a loooong suspension travel (for example, in a lifted SFA vehicle), you can get away of the very same obstacle, because you never lift a wheel, so you never lose traction in any axle...

But if you have locked diffs, what does it matter?! If you have 1 wheel with traction, you still will be able to move...

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
It's a bit easier to move with two wheels with traction compared to one....so more flex+ lockers does do better than flexy and no lockers.

And that pic, they approached the ditch differently, and the XJ is way more modified.

incommando

Banned
Reaction score
Over the last 30 years of playing with 4x4's. I have seen many stock vehicles with locked axles and aggresive tires at or near stock size do some stuff that everyone thought impossible without a lift/articulation improvements. Those great pics point out that both vehicle passed the obstacle....

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Over the last 30 years of playing with 4x4's. I have seen many stock vehicles with locked axles and aggresive tires at or near stock size do some stuff that everyone thought impossible without a lift/articulation improvements. Those great pics point out that both vehicle passed the obstacle....

I agree with Incommando. While I can't claim 30 years of playing with 4x4's, I can only speak from my own experience with the liberty.

I've said it before, but I can count many a time when a locker(s) would have gotten me out of a tricky situation, but I've never been in a situation where a solid front axle (as an example) would have changed my life.

And, as noted by Incommando, it depends on the solid front axle. I blasted through a short obstacle in my libby, only to watch a stock SFA wrangler have to try multiple times to attack the same obstacle, and one of his front wheels was perpetually off the ground.

My opinion is that there's no "silver bullet". And in the discussion of suspension travel, there are many different ways to achieve suspension travel. The Baja Supertrucks are IFS all around but they get something like 12'... yes that's twelve FEET of suspension travel.

I think that solid front axle is liked by hobbyists because it's easier to modify, and easier to lift, and correct me if I'm wrong, but less to go wrong with it.

JJsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I work weekends,kinda leaves wheeling out for awhile till I get another job that does not require weekend work days.

While it is great to have work these days, that *****. No vacation time? Ugh..... poor KJ.......

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While it is great to have work these days, that *****. No vacation time? Ugh..... poor KJ.......
Had to use the vacation time to see my father and any further vacation time is set aside for when the that day comes,he not doing very well.So yeah it *****,but gotta keep this job for awhile,at least it has great benifits and the pay is very good but it ***** that 50% of my paycheck comes from working saturday's and sunday's.

JJsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Troy, pm sent....

Back on topic…..
I own 2 KJ’s (1 still IFS, 1 SFA), both have had traction aids in the diffs and I also owned an XJ w/ traction aids. While the XJ had 31’s on it, it could outperform the KJ in getting through obstacles w/ little effort. W/ 33’s, it isn’t even a contest. Now up against my SFA KJ w/ 33’s, I can whoop the XJ’s butt…. Even w/out using the ARB’s ……probably due to the lower crawl ratio and better tires but certainly not because of flex as both the XJ & SFA KJ flex about the same amount. Wheeling IFS KJ’s is a blast and while it takes finesse and patience to safely negotiate some crazy trails, it is much more rewarding.
FWIW, I still have both KJ’s and sold the XJ….to my son of course just in case I want to borrow it. I love them all! Jeeps are a blast!

JJsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So your not trying to sell your SFA anymore, JJ?

always for sale. I just bought a cabin in our local mtns so the sale is on hold til I get that all sorted out, I will probably fix a couple little things on it like the windshield, clockspring, etc and then pursue selling it again in the future. My original posts were mostly a feeler for S's & G's.

Want it? A small deposit and payments will hold it for ya!

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Want it? A small deposit and payments will hold it for ya!

Yes and no. It IS indeed badass, and for that alone I'd love to take it off your hands. :D

However, I can't afford it, and I'm not tall enough to get in a SFA KJ without a step stool of some sort. lol3.gif I'm reaching maximum height with mine now... and if I end up regearing and going to 265/75's like I'd like to, that's some more height I'd have to overcome.

Warren.fischbeck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes and no. It IS indeed badass, and for that alone I'd love to take it off your hands. :D

However, I can't afford it, and I'm not tall enough to get in a SFA KJ without a step stool of some sort. lol3.gif I'm reaching maximum height with mine now... and if I end up regearing and going to 265/75's like I'd like to, that's some more height I'd have to overcome.

I hear they make small trampolines...

KeswickDave

Gold Moderator
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score

Jayme, maybe you could make one of these fit! :D

http://www.electricstep.com/