Surf's Custom Front Skid.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SurfGuitar141

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now that I did the trim job on the front bumper.....
You must be registered for see images attach

I decided to engineer myself a front skid plate using a scrap piece of pre-bent aluminum diamond plate and a pair of heavy duty "L" brackets.
The brackets had to be heated, bent, cut, and re-drilled for the mounting holes. I used two of the threaded inserts located on the bottom of the front cross member. Once I got those fitted, I lined up my chunk of diamond plate, marked for the mounting holes on that, drilled and bolted the plate to the brackets....(all with stainless steel hardware)
The hard part was getting my arms and hands between the skid and the frame work to get the mounting bolts started, but once I did I was able to ratchet them down good and tight.

I wanted to photo every step of this project, but I was working to beat the rain, and finished just in time.

I did manage to snap off a couple pic's of the finished project.

Pre-painted....

After painting....

If I can get my hands on another piece of this aluminum plate I'd like to engineer another one to protect my ****** pan......

speedracerbubba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This may be a stupid question since I am too lazy to go out to my KJ and look but won't oil just spill onto that when you change the oil?
Also, maybe you can brace it at the rear for more strength so if you hit it with a decent force it won't go into the front diff.

Not trying to knock your design because it looks good, just my thoughts with a first look.

mag03kj

Banned
Reaction score
Same thing i thought! Are youg going to bolt it down on the back side??

SurfGuitar141

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This may be a stupid question since I am too lazy to go out to my KJ and look but won't oil just spill onto that when you change the oil?
Also, maybe you can brace it at the rear for more strength so if you hit it with a decent force it won't go into the front diff.

Not trying to knock your design because it looks good, just my thoughts with a first look.

The oil drain plug is clear of the plate so that won't be an issue, and yes I do plan to brace the back, but I ran out of metal, and it started to rain on me, so I'll have to tackle that part later.
I appreciate the fact you guys picked up on the details, I'm always open for suggestions on improving my engineering skills.....;)

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
What do you use to clean your undercarriage? Looks better than mine.

SurfGuitar141

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought this myself. I would put a slope on the front so it slides over things. In the shape it is now it looks like it would catch on anything it comes across.

That thought crossed my mind as well, but I don't have the machinery to bend something as heavy as this diamond plate, I just cut the piece from a pre bent section, and went with the 90° angle it had.