Sunroof sticking?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nullptr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is frustrating me a little.

The sunroof on my '05 Liberty is 'sticking'. I've already cleaned and lubricated the mechanism, so I'm fairly certain it's not that. To be honest, I'm not sure if it's the motor, or the control switch.

Any of the buttons (open, close, and tilt) will occasionally not do anything. However if you hold the button in, it may just start working on it's own. It helps to wiggle the button a bit, I think :shrug:

While the panel is moving, it will occasionally just stop, but if you hold the button in it'll start moving on it's own again.

If the panel stops, releasing and pressing the button again will usually get it moving again.

If the panel stops, attempting to 'help' it with your hand doesn't do anything.

The panel does not appear to move slowly, or slow down. When it's moving, it moves at a constant speed. No strange noises are coming from the motor.

I'm kind of leaning toward the control button module being bad, but I'd like to hear your opinions as well since you all have more experience with this stuff than I. If it is the motor, how hard (and expensive) are we looking at?

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine has done this since I bought it used about 7 years ago. Always closes eventually but usually it will stop and start and stutter a few times. I just hold the button and it eventually closes. Sounds exactly like you've described.

Sorry, no fix but hasn't failed yet either.

nullptr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine has done this since I bought it used about 7 years ago. Always closes eventually but usually it will stop and start and stutter a few times. I just hold the button and it eventually closes. Sounds exactly like you've described.

Sorry, no fix but hasn't failed yet either.

Good to know it's not about to just up and die on me, at least!

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
This may be a longshot, but I've seen a lot of references to people having small leaks around them. Could a tiny amount of water be seeping in and corroding the contacts somewhere?

nullptr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This may be a longshot, but I've seen a lot of references to people having small leaks around them. Could a tiny amount of water be seeping in and corroding the contacts somewhere?

Possible, but I've not seen any sign of water damage either in the roof or around the sunroof equipment. I'll keep an eye on it, though.

I mean, if it's one thing Florida's got, it's moisture!

And giant 3" long flying cockroaches. :thumbsdown:

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could a tiny amount of water be seeping in and corroding the contacts somewhere?

Possible, but I've not seen any sign of water damage either in the roof or around the sunroof equipment. I'll keep an eye on it, though.

Same here. First moon/sun roof I've ever had so I have always kept a close eye on it and never saw any signs of leaks. The whole system look very good for an 02.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.