Sunroof Noise...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ayosick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 02 liberty with a factory installed sunroof. The other day I was heading down a bumpy road and all of the sudden I heard something starting to bounce around. When the sunroof is closed I can see something loose on the inside. Feels like another piece of glass...no idea what it is. :confused: Now it causes my sunroof to sometimes jam and not want to open/close all the way. Any suggestions on a fix?

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My fiancee bought an 02 KJ used last summer and the same thing happened to her. We heard something metallic banging up there when we hit bumps with the sun roof close or open but it worked fine. It turned out to be that a Cross beam for the sun roof came loose. Don't know how it would but I pulled it since it wasn't connected to anything. I was told the cross beam helps support the roof if weight is put on it and also helps to keep the sun roof rails in place. we don't put anything on the roof and my fiancee only uses the sun roof for venting so we haven't seen any problems with it gone.

this is what it looks like

You must be registered for see images attach

ayosick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is what is loose. I can see it bouncing around in there. Might sound like a stupid question, but how do you get to that part to fix it.

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is what is loose. I can see it bouncing around in there. Might sound like a stupid question, but how do you get to that part to fix it.

From what I understand to properly reattach the cross support the whole interior of the roof has to be dropped down in order to access the Sun roof. That's why I chose the lesser of two evils by taking out the support and only using the sun roof for venting. I was able to stick in my hand in there pull it out b/c it was close to the sun roof opening.

If you find an easier way. Let me know.

Last edited: