Sunroof (Not Skyslider)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

David13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I happened to take a look at the seal around my sunroof 2009 Liberty Limited and found that it was grossly cracked and crumbled.

So today when I received the replacement seal from the cheapest discount seller today, I set out to take out the sunroof and replace the seal.

What a mess.

Whatever cheap plastic they used on it apparently melts in the moderate mid Utah summer (100 degrees, still nothing compared to Baker and Palm Springs and Death Valley from my previous years.)

It had turned into a tar. A plain old black gooey sticky tar, just like roof tar. I have found that it does wash off with dishwash detergent.

And paper towels will mostly scrape it off.

To take out the glass there are 4 ( think 5/16ths or 8 mm) that screw into the slides. Then it just lifts out.

Hopefully the new one will fit. I've seen videos lately of counterfeit parts from China that masquerade as OEM official parts, even with logo and all. But fakes. So I'll see how it fits.

I did recently replace some of the window trim on my Honda Civic and found that the cheap China parts didn't fit too good and sent them back to get Honda discount dealer official Honda parts, which fit perfectly.

More fun on installation coming up.
dc

David13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One issue I have come to.

Which way does the seal go. Wide side up or down?

The old one was slightly different and had ridges along it. And was so messed up I couldn't tell if it had an up or down bulge.
dc

Last edited:

AFT2008KK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How did this turn out? Old Blue’s sunroof started a drip / leak at the carwash. Not bad. But still a nuisance. Any tips / tricks?

Boueux

Reaction score
How did this turn out? Old Blue’s sunroof started a drip / leak at the carwash. Not bad. But still a nuisance. Any tips / tricks?
Less fun in the winter, but gets the job done :)