Sunfish sailboat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sblanck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Greetings,

Anyone here ever car top a sunfish sailboat on their Libby?
The boat weighs 150 lbs.
14 foot long and 4 foot wide.

This is the only example I could find:
You must be registered for see images

Rowlette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No but I did 150lbs. of wood on top 4x2x8, 4x2x16, 4x4x8 etc from Home Depot/Lowe's and all is good as long as your roof carrier can distribute the weight you should be fine.
Your main concerns should be crosswinds.

Last edited:

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would say you would be fine with a good set of crossbars (low profile) that can distribute the weight and proper front and rear tie-downs. You could always upgrade to a stronger roof rack though just to be sure.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
If I recall correctly, the stock roof rails are rated at 150 lbs. I agree with the others who say that the size (and wind profile) will be more of a concern than the weight. I've had close to 150 worth of stuff up there a couple times with no difficulty. (Other than lugging it up and down a dinky little ladder to get it there...) :icon_razz:

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I recall correctly, the stock roof rails are rated at 150 lbs. I agree with the others who say that the size (and wind profile) will be more of a concern than the weight. I've had close to 150 worth of stuff up there a couple times with no difficulty. (Other than lugging it up and down a dinky little ladder to get it there...) :icon_razz:

Prof, are you still carrying your dead bodies on the roof? I told you the rear cargo area is more discrete:sawzall:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I've got too many tools back there. Besides, the tools don't smell bad after a couple of days. :death:

sblanck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Checked the boat weight and its 130lbs. I would secure it across the top and also run a couple of lines from the bow down to the front of the vehicle. Many sailors transport their boats on the roofs of all sorts of cars I was just curious about the Libby and if it would be a problem.

sblanck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is a Laser on top of a little car. Its about the same length and a little wider than a sunfish.
I figured I would be fine.
You must be registered for see images