Sun roof drain holes, supposed to look like this?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jettrue

Reaction score
So my '03 Liberty started leaking when it rained. I bought it in May but it HAD been pretty dry. Now that we are apparently in Monsoon season we started having a problem with water leaking in when it rains.

Anyway I've been researching and looked for the drain holes, didn't see them, but saw these little screws in the front corners. Bought some weed eater wire to try and find out where the heck the holes were and hopefully snake them clean.

Ran into wal-mart as a downpour started, drove to a gas station and used the wire to poke around and the screws were wiggly loose. I pulled them out (they weren't screwed in, just laying in there flush so it LOOKED like they were screwed in) and it revealed what I think are the holes. The pooled water drained right into the holes.

Is this what the holes are supposed to look like?
You must be registered for see images

Here's what the screws look like:
You must be registered for see images

I wonder what the screws are for, and why they were there? Maybe they fell off of something in there and just naturally kind of rolled into the holes? Maybe the previous owners are cruel and stuck them in there?:shrug:

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
I'll flip through my shop manual later and let you know if I find anything. The screws look like they should be holding something like the sunroof operating mechanism. Maybe push up on the headliner opposite where screws were found and see if it clunks. If the drains are plugged the lake has to go somewhere.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Looked at my book. I think you have the water trough screws in your hand unless they go to the wind visor. The trough collects the water and sends it down the four water outlets. Front drains exit into front fender high behind the front wheels. Rears come down to floor inside near back of rear door openings. All end in 90 degree bends so pushing through from the top might damn it up tighter. Book calls for compressed air. My Jeep is in my shop with the sunroof in vent position. No battery so I can't get a good look. The whole assembly is bolted up from beneath the headliner so my idea of a loose assembly was wrong.

Proper fit around sunroof glass is done with a piece of paper. Should feel sleight resistance pulling paper between glass and seal with sunroof closed. Bad glass fit, bad seal, and not completely closed are the books' reasons for leakage. No good picture of the trough. Maybe see if it moves and lines up with screw holes? The book warns to make sure the rear of the trough is above the sunroof sunshield on installation. Glass panel is held by 4 bolts; two each side going in sideways.

Hope this helps a bit. Good luck with the weather.

Latest posts

Members online