sudden Catalytic Converter blowout?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeff Jot

Reaction score
'04 6 cyl Jeep Liberty with around 80K miles.
Two days ago suddenly a rattle started, though it kind of comes and goes. After getting an oil change, the Jiffy Lube tech (excuse me, whatever you want me to call him) said he found the problem, it was a loose heat shield. A bolt was off, he said.
I spent a couple days crawling under the car but couldn't find it anywhere.
So I went back to Jiffy Lube, saying "Where?". They pulled it on the bay and looked again, and now they say oh sorry no the Catalytic Converter is "all broken up inside" and I will have to 'swap it out or you can put a straight piece in there'.
I checked with the auto store and looking at around $600 for a swappable converter DIY, or $250 for one which can be welded, but would require hiring a mechanic for labor.
Does this make sense? Has anyone had this happen before. I had a 2002 Jeep for almost 20 years, and another Jeep before that, and never had to change the catalytic converter before.
And if so what did you do? Seems like sudden a bank drop blowout to me, and really bad luck.... is this something common on Libertys. I know the bad luck at least is common with me and vehicles. Also how driveable is the vehicle until its fixed.
Anyone?

Attachments

• rattle.png
    rattle.png
    47.7 KB · Views: 7

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I have 3 KJs , 03, 04 and 05
04 had one start rattling about 170,000 miles, replaced it and alls good
Just one of those things that happen
Back in 1974 bought a new Ford Pickup, right front spring broke before it had 12.000 miles on it
Things happen, doesn't mean its an real issue, parts fail

Ksat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Scan the vehicle for codes (even if the CEL is not lit). If there are no codes relating to the rear oxygen sensors or no "below threshold codes," it's highly doubtful anything is wrong with the catalytics.....

Last edited:

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They do break up inside and will rattle, but I wouldn't say its common on Libertys. I have four Jeeps and I've never had a cat go bad. One has 275,000mi on it. If I did have one go bad, I would just buy a magnaflow cat and clamp it in.

If you have a rubber mallet or dead blow hammer, you can tap (dont hammer on it) on the cat and see if it rattles.

Eventually it 'should' throw a check engine light. It can also eventually clog up and you'll be down on power.

JibeHo22

Reaction score
First of all, I wouldn't trust Jiffy Lube to diagnose any issue with my vehicle. In fact, I wouldn't even trust them to change my oil. Look, they have already given you two different diagnoses for the same symptoms on an issue that does require advanced training or elaborate tools to diagnose.
Your vehicle only has 80K miles on it, and it is not throwing any codes, therefore I would seriously question the loose catalyst diagnosis.
If it were my vehicle, i would obtain another diagnosis from an independent muffler shop (don't use Midas, Firestone, etc.) before I go spending money on a fix.
And, I would wave 'goodbye' to Jiffy Lube.

budget76

Reaction score
I agree. Tap on the cats with a rubber hammer. Get dirty. Watch a u-tube video on how-to. Could be dead after 18 years, I do not know how and where yu drive (sea water, deep rivers), so I assume nothing.

Latest posts

Members online