Success with a twist...???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NotMyRenegade

Reaction score
Hello fellow Jeepers.....Just a follow up on my rough Idle and stalling issue....changed the AIC and couldn't believe how much carbon build-up...took the throttle body off because it was really bad and cleaned that up....took the crank vent tubes off and cleaned those up as well. No more rough idle...fuel mileage has improved a bit but now I have another question? The day before I did this work the RPM gauge was acting strange. It would drop to 1000rpm outta nowhere and when I gave it gas...no response and then it did with a 2-3 second delay and when I took my foot off the gas it would drop to 500 . I thought it was rectified after doing the repair but I have noticed the tach acting up slightly once in a while however the response when giving it gas is good.Then a couple days ago we had to go into the city.....half hour drive ...got to our destination 10 minutes later go to start and it stalls...start again it stalls...had to give the gas pedal a little tap and hold to prevent from stalling and all good...no issues all the way home.....this has happened twice now.....Map Sensor? Speed Sensor? Other than those minor hiccups all is as it should be . She still loves he Jeep...lol. I will be installing new plugs shortly and wanted to maybe get a heads up on another possible sensor replacement so I can give my partner a heads up. Oh...she has one concern that I think I explained correctly but to be honest I don't know.Passenger side on the firewall there is a rubber tube with a 90 degree bend pointing down there seems to be a bit of water draining from it.I told her it is probably a drain tube coming from the roof light bar and that put her at ease.Am I correct in that assumption?

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
The stalling issue at idle sounds like a stuck AIC, even though you just cleaned it. If you can keep the Jeep running by giving it a little throttle, that sounds like the IAC isn’t doing its job and letting air in at idle. Try cleaning it again using throttle body cleaner and a soft toothbrush (they can be easily damaged if you used carb cleaner or a stronger cleaning product), or try a new IAC.

The rubber tube from the firewall is the AC evaporator water drip tube. It may also be where the sunroof drains.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Cleaning does not always work. Probably best to replace it with a Mopar IAC.
I replaced it with a BWD IAC which worked for about 2 years before it acted up again, Now I use the Mopar IAC.

Attachments

• IAC BWD 50596.jpg
    IAC BWD 50596.jpg
    290.8 KB · Views: 5

NotMyRenegade

Reaction score
I did replace the IAC.....it was the throttle body I cleaned.....ah yes....the sunroof....makes more sense...gotcha.....thanks....rough idle(on cold start) and stalling(at stops) has been fixed by doing what I stated(changing AIC and cleaning throttle body and PCV valve and tubes. 2 events of a no start with engine warm and having to give it some gas to prevent it from stalling with no issue after is what is presently the issue as well as the tach acting up once in a while.

Ksat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you checked for codes? What's an AIC, by the way?