Stupid dealer! *Updated*

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright well, I went to a local dealer to get my rear liftgate fixed. I knew the handle was broken (becuase I broke it #-o ) so called in advance to have them order the part. I told them exactly what I had so there would be no mistake as well as showing them in the service manual. I take the day off from work and drive 40 minutes one way to go there. Anyway, I wait for 45 minutes and then the service lady comes out and tells me that they ordered the wrong part. First off, what the heck?! Thats why I ordered it! I noticed that they took the time to wash it so that was a plus. She told me that it would be free of charge (the service since they didnt have it). Anyway, I assumed given the trouble they caused me, they were talking about the next service. Nope, I called to clear it up and they're talking about the handle. No kidding its free of charge, it was their dumba** mistake that got me the wrong part. Im not paying for that again. I'm a little irritated and am gonna talk to someone next time I'm in there since I have to go back. What would everyone here do?

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats expected from the dealer. If everything seems ok, you better be careful when you drive home! A tire or door could fall off. Ive never been to the dealer without something happening that was just plan stupid. [-(

glaurick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Accidents happen, we get the wrong parts all the time even though we order the right ones #-o
It's cool that you don't have to pay for the handle, they should have just filled you up on gas for wasting your time

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That does tickle me good that no matter how exact you are, there still can be a mess up. The shop probably did order exactly what you wanted, but the other end didn't pay attention to the specifics.

Glad to hear they are covering for the handle, etc...

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They arent covering the handle. I already paid for the first one. They said I wouldnt have to pay for the second. Anyway, I havent had it serviced yet. Im gonna call tomorrow and see if the part is in. Then Im gonna go get the part, install it myself, and make sure they dont get my money for such bad service. I bet its already in and she hasnt bothered to call me. I appreciate that both ends can screw up, but the dealer has been less than accomodating.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you're not happy find another dealer. They are like anything elce in life. There's the good - the bad - and the ugly.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Workin on it. Thats the third one we've tried in Phoenix.

4Factor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
desertkj said:
Workin on it. Thats the third one we've tried in Phoenix.

I hear ya on that one, three repairs at 2 dealers, each one has required at least 1 return visit to fix a mistake they made. I'm dreading the recall we're going to get in Sept. for the Lower Ball Joints. I hope the vehicle doesn't cause an accident on the way home.

Dealer visits to date

1. Tire Pressure Sensors - 5 visits to get them installed
2. Roof repaint (large scratch while loading/unloading from car carrier before we bought it) - 3 visits roof rails were installed backwards (heavy damage) they "fixed" them... not new parts
3. Rear axle seal leak - had to return once more because on refill of the diff, they forgot the friction modifier. I now realize the limited slip hardly works like it should. Often times now, on corners, the inside tire squeals similar to being in 4WD Part-time (evenwhile coasting, it's not me giving it too much throttle).

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well. I just got off the phone with them to find out what was taking so long. Guess what? She never ordered the part! The service area has no record of it other than the original handle. I tried to talk to her, but she had already left for the day. My first call tomorrow is gonna be to her, and then the next is gonna be to DaimlerChrysler since it is supposedly a five star dealer. I'll try not to yell too much, but I'm really ticked! I believe she deserves one of these: the_finger.gif

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well. The people in parts really impressed me and are doing everything they can to help me out. They are going to give me a full refund for the part and won't be charging everything. Then since DC, seems to have forgotten about the Libertys with locking rear door handles, they recommended a junkyard I can go look for a replacement at. I'm very happy that they are taking action in this.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good deal! Dealers aren't always too bad. I've had some good dealings with dealers over the years. I hope it works out!

GoldBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sometimes i think you can kill the dealerships with kindness and if you know the people there from being loyal customers helps a lot too.

DougBenn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with Grogie.

There are more that a fair share of "stealerships" out there. But there are also alot of good ones.

The kill em with kindness if one of my strategeries (lol) from way back, and it works more times than not!

DougBenn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have a part number. I will check with my buddy at the dealership here.

cowdogg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
desertkj said:
, they recommended a junkyard I can go look for a replacement at.

Would you mind sharing this information? I've been looking for yards with any Libbys to no avail. (Phoenix area)

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They said AMC at 67th ave and Belmont was a good one to check. I havent gone yet, so if u see a handle on the rear door of an 02 Jeep KJ with a lock, dont touch it! J/K, but not really. Oh and the polo shirt they gave me is pretty cool too. It's teflon coated. the guy was telling me he had one, poured water in the pocket, and it didnt leak.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.