Stuck ignition coil?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

randymorris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m replacing my spark plugs and coils today, but one of the coils is stuck, I can’t get it to break free at all. Any suggestions?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I’m replacing my spark plugs and coils today, but one of the coils is stuck, I can’t get it to break free at all. Any suggestions?

I will assume that you took off the 10 mm nut
If so then just twist, wiggle, move it back and forth just a bit, and do the hockey pokey
I've had some ( mostly ones that had been neglected ) that were stuck, but just wiggled it a little bit and finally got it out. Seems some even stick to the hold down somewhat

randymorris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will assume that you took off the 10 mm nut
If so then just twist, wiggle, move it back and forth just a bit, and do the hockey pokey
I've had some ( mostly ones that had been neglected ) that were stuck, but just wiggled it a little bit and finally got it out. Seems some even stick to the hold down somewhat

It’s free from the hold down, so I’ll keep wiggling it to try and break it free. This is my 4th out of 6, the others were pretty easy. I bought these a while ago to do, a couple months after buying the truck, and just didn’t worry about it until the transmission was replaced.

randymorris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the coil unstuck, part of the coil had fused to the spark plug, so getting a socket on that was also difficult. Now when I fired up my truck, I get a noticeable vibration, flashing check engine light, and codes p0300 and p2317 showing. Any idea where I might have screwed up?

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
All the connectors seated tightly? Coils on the plugs tightly? What brand and type of plug did you use? KJs prefer copper - preferably NGK.

randymorris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All the connectors seated tightly? Coils on the plugs tightly? What brand and type of plug did you use? KJs prefer copper - preferably NGK.

So all the connectors felt like they were seated snugly, but the last on on the passenger side under the reservoir when I got light on it was clearly not all the way seated. It was a royal pain trying to get it seated. I never heard it click into place, but it looks closer to the others now, and my misfire has gone away. Could it be time to replace those connectors?

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Some say to replace the coil packs once you get up there in mileage. But if the connectors connect and you don't have a misfire, I'd leave it.

randymorris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some say to replace the coil packs once you get up there in mileage. But if the connectors connect and you don't have a misfire, I'd leave it.

I’m at 230000 now, and I’m glad I replaced the spark plugs and coils today, I should have done it a while ago. If that one connector gives me more issues, how hard is it to wire in a new connector?