Stuck Coolant Bleeder Screw

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Recently made a thread concerning the proper way of bleeding the coolant after refilling and did as advised.. added to the overflow tank and didn't touch the bleeder..
In that thread I mentioned the very slow coolant loss I was having.. and today I found it.
My coolant bleeder had a barely noticeable ring of coolant around it.. so I made the simple attempt of tightening it down to stop the coolant flow.. only to realize, it doesn't budge..
So I moved on to, well.. looks like I've gotta get that sucker out of there and make sure it's the plug that is seized up and not threading stripped out..
Only to find.. it doesn't budge loosening either..
With all the power I can muster, I've gotten a few turns loose and the screw now sits up maybe a bit more than 1/4" from the timing cover..
Did some thread searching and came across quite a few similar issues.. but didn't come across and helpful tips for getting the seized screw off..
If anybody knows any tricks.. I'd greatly appreciate it as the Allen wrench has worn it's own indent into my palm lol.

Also.. side note that's random..
The bottom coolant radiator hose.. should it feel like something is inside of it?

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah there's a spring inside of that lower hose if it's factory. Don't need it beyond the factory.

And I got an allen socket for it, used a longer ratchet on it and mine broke free easily. Although if yours is starting to strip out, a torx bit could help.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
can you pressure test the system to verify that it is coming from the bleeder screw?

Personally, if it's seized, I wouldn't touch it.

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used an extractor, and put a square plug in its place that you can remove with a wrench, heck, it was seized and it's a new engine

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
can you pressure test the system to verify that it is coming from the bleeder screw?

After replacing it, I'm planning on pressure testing the system to be sure it's not leaking anywhere else, but if I pressure test it now, it's not going to hold pressure leaking out the bleeder..as you can watch it start to pool back up around it right after wiping it off.... I would leave it, if it were seized closed and not leaking coolant consistently.. but at this rate, I'd be filling the coolant as much as I'd be driving.
There are no signs of coolant leaking from anywhere else and the radiator and water pump have less than 2k on them..
Trying to find an Allen wrench around here that I can fit a ratchet onto, but I really like the torx bit idea and will probably try that out as the hex is starting to wear out as I try to loosen it..

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah there's a spring inside of that lower hose if it's factory. Don't need it beyond the factory.

And I got an allen socket for it, used a longer ratchet on it and mine broke free easily. Although if yours is starting to strip out, a torx bit could help.

A spring is pretty much what I was thinking but wanted to ask, so thank you.
I appreciate the replies.. all sounds so simple now like.. duh me, but when you're in the moment of aggravation sometimes the right answer is exactly what you overlook. (banghead)

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Just realized your thread was one of the ones I ran across searching this issue.. convenient!
Fingers crossed..

Attachments

• 14779482152641721886949.jpg
    14779482152641721886949.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 36

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay.. got her broken free and going to take it out when I get back from this trip to autozone. Going to go pick up a pipe plug assortment to see if one of these square head ones fits since the dealerships parts department is closed until tomorrow.. likely will be on back order anyways so for 7 bucks I might as well see

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So everything seems good now..
But wanted to ask, is it normal for the coolant reservoir to fill up in sections?
The left will sometimes bubble up to the top, middle slightly low, then right back up further.. and the overflow tank side won't end up with any coolant.
Just wanted to ask rather than assume it's okay.. didn't know if it meant there was a break in the coolant vacuum anywhere.
When it's off, it will settle to exactly the fill line