stripped bolt hole

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

krisP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One of the bolts that fastens the rear upper control arm to the diff was crossthreaded and destroyed the hole. Should I retap to the next size up? use an insert? take jeep to junkyard ?

Last edited:

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you can get access to it, and you're actually referring to a stripped hole (not bolt as your post states), Helicoil inserts are the cats azz. Just follow instructions.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
One of the bolts that fastens the rear upper control arm to the diff was crossthreaded and destroyed the hole. Should I retap to the next size up? use an insert? take jeep to junkyard ?

I've retapped them and also installed a helicoil
Depends on how bad it is really

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Going back to original thread size and pitch just seems to satisfy my sense of "rightness" more than an odd ball bolt stuck in at random. Though I did lots of them before my Helicoil phase.:gr_grin:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Going back to original thread size and pitch just seems to satisfy my sense of "rightness" more than an odd ball bolt stuck in at random. Though I did lots of them before my Helicoil phase.:gr_grin:

All depends on where you are as well
Rightness is not always the right thing you can do at that moment:gr_grin: