Strange trouble with 02 libby

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

azphoneguy

Reaction score
I have had this problem for several weeks now. When a traffic light at a complete stop after about 5-20 sec. the truck just lurches fwd foot is on the brake. I have had this to the dealer several time they think i am nuts.
I never happens for them. It is totally unpredictable could go several days and it does not happen or it could happen 5 time in one day. The dealer flash the TCM. They said it has to be flashed after a transmission service and that it was not flashed when I service the transmission. The trouble has come back after 4 days. I also read that it could be due to the slip yoke adapter needing grease(Correct me but the splines on the splndle and slip yoke are interlocking male/female) I don't know I am not a service tech. Has anyone seen or experienced this trouble and how do I get the dealer to correct it. Getting Very Frustrated....

sprsonic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dont mean to upset you, but you may be doing the same thing that i did with my liberty, exact same prob. when you are hitting the brake you may be hitting the gas too.

azphoneguy

Reaction score
This is not the case. I have been very deliberate while trying to troubleshoot this problem. but thanks

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine does it some times. May not be the same thing as you, but its just the ****** down shifting into 1st after you stop. My mom's corolla does it too.

A guy ask me why his car did that back in high school one time.

sprsonic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is it only happening just as you let off of the brake and accelerate? if it is, the greasing of the drive shaft should fix it.

azphoneguy

Reaction score
It only happens when my foot is on the brake at a complete stop. I happens after 5-20 seconds at a complete stop (not moving). It feels as though i have been rear ended. This can't be normal. I'm wondering if the torque converter is going bad.

zaber

Reaction score
Strange behaviour from 2002 Liberty...

Hi, I have a problem with my automatic gearbox. Everytime I brake hard from not such a high speed, I feel this "kick" coming from the gearbox. This happens when the box is shifting down to a lower gear while slowing down. It's almost as bad as someone ramming into you!
Any ideas?

Thanks,

Colin.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Re: Strange behaviour from 2002 Liberty...

zaber said:
Hi, I have a problem with my automatic gearbox. Everytime I brake hard from not such a high speed, I feel this "kick" coming from the gearbox. This happens when the box is shifting down to a lower gear while slowing down. It's almost as bad as someone ramming into you!
Any ideas?

Thanks,

Colin.

That much I believe is normal. It usually happens during break - in. I haven't felt that in over a year.

The other problems... no, they're not normal. Neither of our Jeeps exhibit these lurches.

Bundu Boy

Reaction score
My Jeep does a similar thing at times.

Sometimes when it changes down a gear when no gas is being applied I get a small 'kick', also sometimes if I put the car from N to D I can feel it 'kick'....

It happens... then it does not....

Sorry I cannot help, trying to figure it out myself......