Strange noises and acting funny

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pmathis_0

Reaction score
I received a 2006 jeep liberty sport v6 about a month ago it has 204,937 miles on it and it is making some very uneasy noises. My father and I went trail riding a week later and we put it in 4hi and the front started ticking. My dad said it was just the cv axle so i just put it back in 2wd and hoped for the best. About 2weeks later I got caught up somewhere and i had to use 4wd to get out i only drove around 50 yards then put it back in 2wd. But now when im going down the road i hear a noise kinda like metal rubbing its only when im moving. I tried putting in back in 4wd to see if it was the transfer case (i did completely stop and put it in neutral first) it went into 4hi but when i tried to put it in 4lo it started grinding. Does anyone know what is causing it and how to fix it and/or the cost??

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I received a 2006 jeep liberty sport v6 about a month ago it has 204,937 miles on it and it is making some very uneasy noises. My father and I went trail riding a week later and we put it in 4hi and the front started ticking. My dad said it was just the cv axle so i just put it back in 2wd and hoped for the best. About 2weeks later I got caught up somewhere and i had to use 4wd to get out i only drove around 50 yards then put it back in 2wd. But now when im going down the road i hear a noise kinda like metal rubbing its only when im moving. I tried putting in back in 4wd to see if it was the transfer case (i did completely stop and put it in neutral first) it went into 4hi but when i tried to put it in 4lo it started grinding. Does anyone know what is causing it and how to fix it and/or the cost??

First more than likey needs right side CV and Intermediate shaft for one, next thing to check is rar CV on the front drive shaft and with that many miles bet suspension ( springs and shocks ) are toast as well .
Measure middle of the left front wheel to bottom of flare and report back