Strange Heating Issue with my 02 KJ

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drdanks

Reaction score
When turning temp dial to hot.. blows hot air for 5-10 seconds then goes cold. When turning temp dial to cold... blows hot air for 5-10 seconds then goes cold.

Replaced 2 blend door actuators and resistor. Flushed coolant system including heater core. Flushed heater core again. Heater core hoses are both hot. Doesn't seem to be a coolant issue.

Fan at all levels work. Very good air flow from all areas when you turn the dials. Seems like it is only the hot/cold dial

About 90k miles

Could this be something deep in the dash (another blend door) or possibly the climate control panel?

drdanks

Reaction score
Thanks for all your info! I was able to bleed the coolant system to get any air out. Gradually the air was warm and consistent. Eventually it was hot and consistent. The cold side works too. When done I recalibrated the blend door and all seems to be good.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Air in the system after a DIY flush seems to be common cause of heating headaches. I'd wait until the dealer is running a flush special. Chances are good they'll have the equipment to do it easily and without the air in system problems.

Latest posts

Members online