Stop the Presses! This is brilliant...time to do it!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
After stumbling over this, I am putting all other projects on hold (other than the ones I have going while I wait on parts). I'm stealing this idea and modifying it for the KJ.

Crazy, I know, but this is a mod I actually need. I'm not going to bother with gull wings and struts, but one side will be for Fire Extinguisher and recovery kit, the other for tools.

I have been struggling with maximizing gear space and utility in Bert and those third windows are absolutely useless, except as a place to put decals.

I figure I can do some fiberglass work on the interior trim panels to make it look pretty, and have a spot to mount speakers and an expanded 12v utility outlet bank.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Saw a wrangler a while back and the windows on the hard top were like that, very cool. I'll be watching your work!

JRB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like this idea, I like having the side doors on mine to get to some tools, but something like this would add a lot more of accessibility.

Plus when detailing mine I noticed the slightest wrinkle under some of the paint in the channel where the glass sits, I can address that rust while in there.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
I think I'm going to use 1/4 inch ABS as I can thermo-form it to match the curve of the window glass with just a heat gun. Found sheets I can easily cut, trim, and drill for this project. I can also easily plastic weld structural members on the interior to make them both strong and lightweight. Plus I found it in black, so it will still be close to the window tints.

Since the interior trim panels are also ABS, I bet I can get creative with more ABS to form the compartments, particularly if I can find the proper (or close) shade of gray.

Ideally, I'm thinking I might put doors on the interior, so I can access the stuff inside them, even with my roadhouse tarp in place.

ABS is very durable and easy to work with (really thick versions are used as "marine board". A regular hardware store heat gun is all one needs to form it AND it is easily painted...

Plus, I could actually thermoform the ABS and use it as a core for a sheet of aluminum on the exterior, solving the conundrum of bending plates and minimizing weight.

I just ordered all the hardware, and a better sealing solution than what this dude used, for delivery this weekend. I can't get the ABS sheets in till the end of the month however. I already have aluminum sheets in the garage I can use to skin it too. Looks like the whole project can be done for about 180$ for just the window removal and the exterior doors. (If I decide to put struts in....if I don't its around 150$)

This is a superior solution to his weather seals. I use this stuff on my VW as it is superior to the OE foam stuff that always falls out.
You must be registered for see images attach

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
So just spoke with my industrial supplier and he can get me the ABS sheets for even less, which means I can get the project down to 120$ to do both sides.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Started a How TO thread in the appropriate place so yinze can follow along on the KJ version of this project. I'm doing the exterior doors for both sides for just over 100$ with just the tools I have laying around.

Latest posts

Members online