stock 06 liberty rough ride?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

new jeep owner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is this normal for the liberty ?
if I hit a dip in the road the front hits hard like there is no give in the suspension.
just wondering if maybe it's time to upgrade some suspension parts .
it has 83500 km on it not sure what that would be in miles.

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 04 Liberty does the same thing and I'm on my second set of Mopar struts.

In the spring I'll be shopping for new struts & coils, probably OME's.

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
83500KM is about 51800 miles and that is a little below avg for a 5 year old vehicle.
How long have you had the KJ? I ask b/c compared to most vehicles the KJ ride is rough and would make anyone thing it has a bad suspension after switching from another vehicle.
How fast do you drive over these dips?

I find it a little strange you would need new shocks and struts @ 51800 miles unless it was used for off roading every single day or extremely abused. My wife's 02KJ has 135,000+ miles with original suspension and it rides just like my 06 KJ that has 33000.

Last edited:

Redbone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is this normal for the liberty ?
if I hit a dip in the road the front hits hard like there is no give in the suspension.
just wondering if maybe it's time to upgrade some suspension parts .
it has 83500 km on it not sure what that would be in miles.

4x4 I assume??? I have a few more miles than that and ride is about the same as when we bought it (17k at the time). It's normal for a 4x KJ. The rear gets a little rough with 2 grownups in the rear seats. There isn't much travel in the rear.

Removing the sway bars made the ride better but at the expense of handling. It won't be safe in an emergency.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Couldn't wait to get my original suspension off at 20,000 miles can't imagine anyone saying that at 50-70,000 its the same as new
So much better when you "upgrade" to OMEs much better springs and shocks. Handles dips etc way better than it ever did stock

Redbone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Note that I said about the same and note that I compared the ride to 17K miles on when I bought it. It wasn't new. I can't compare to any other KJs as I have never ridden in another one. Our miles are all highway miles. The suspension hasn't been abused. All that being said, yes, it rides about the same as it did when we bought it. Still a good vacation vehicle as well as a daily beater.

If I want a better ride I just take my GMC.:icon_wink:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Couldn't wait to get my original suspension off at 20,000 miles can't imagine anyone saying that at 50-70,000 its the same as new
So much better when you "upgrade" to OMEs much better springs and shocks. Handles dips etc way better than it ever did stock
X2....................

I lifted my KJ at 17k,used the pre-soft ride Skyjacker coil lift and my KJ handled like it was on rails afterwards,1000% improvement.

Redbone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X2....................

.. and my KJ handled like it was on rails afterwards,..

Thats what my Trans Am is for.(biggrin)

Hey tj, did JP magazine contact you? I ******* at them for never putting Liberties in their rag. I sent them a pic of your Libby and this website as a way to get in touch with you.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats what my Trans Am is for.(biggrin)

Hey tj, did JP magazine contact you? I ******* at them for never putting Liberties in their rag. I sent them a pic of your Libby and this website as a way to get in touch with you.
My KJ has been in there online readers rides for over a year,along with every other offroad mag.No one cares,I really don't either as I get all the joy of driving it everyday(partysmile)

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shocks are like any other "wear" item on your ride
They have a given life span
On some it is longer than others
on the KJ the OE shocks last about 30-40k miles
My '09 F250 was done at 50k toy could easily open and close
them by hand
The shocks are bad that is why it rides rough

Members online