Stereo mounting kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gordo

Reaction score
For all of you KJ owners that have installed an after-market stereo, I was just curious to know what kind of mounting kit you decided to use.

I was walking through Wal-Mart the other day and saw one made by Scosche so I picked it up for not a lot of cash. I am an electronics technician and I have installed numerous car stereos, but this kit is a joke. It looks like the directions were translated from English to Japanese, then back to English again. I think you need some sort of seer stones in order to decipher it. I am sure that buying a kit at Wal-Mart was my first mistake.

If anybody has any suggestions, I would appreciate it since this thing is driving me crazy.

zot72

Reaction score
Yes, Crutchfield — they give you instructions written by them in English, in addition to the vendor's Engrish ones, translated from the original Japanese through German, Iclandic, Russian, Klingon, and Spanish all while skydiving.

eddiev9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you guys talking about the plastic mount that sort of 'fills in the gaps' around the aftermarket HU?

You must be registered for see images

I'm just being curious...because I don't recall any words in the Crutchfield instuctions; just pictures with arrows.

EDIT: Doh! I should have followed Billforde's Crutchfield link before I posted this. #-o

Gordo

Reaction score
eddiev9 said:
Are you guys talking about the plastic mount that sort of 'fills in the gaps' around the aftermarket HU?
Yes I am. I have a wiring harness already and I bought a kit like the one in your picture, but for the life of me, I can't get it to work.

As for Crutchfield, I know that they give you a kit like that for free when you by a new HU, but I already have a nice Alpine deck that a pulled from my car after it was totaled. I would really like to make the trim kit that I have work, but maybe it won't happen.

I am very open to any tips/tricks/suggestions. Thanks!

billforde

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have the original metal sleve that came with your HU? Ignore the rubber pad i added (was using it for a different purpose)
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

eddiev9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
billforde's right. That metal sleeve mount is the key, really. As you can see in his pics there are metal tabs bent to hold it in place, which is the trick. After that, the HU slides in until you hear a click.

Se7enLC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
eddiev9 said:
billforde's right. That metal sleeve mount is the key, really. As you can see in his pics there are metal tabs bent to hold it in place, which is the trick. After that, the HU slides in until you hear a click.

While it does make it easier to install, those metal sleeves are also a gift to all would-be stereo theives out there. To remove the deck, all you have to do is use the metal bar key-thing in the sides of the deck and the whole thing slides right out of the sleeve.

To fix that, I bolted on a piece of metal to make it so that you had to take the dash out to get the deck out. Ought to slow them up a bit this time.

I have photos of my alpine-in-05-KJ install with the crutchfield kit here:

You must be registered for see images

http://photos.jeffornot.com/Jeep

Gordo

Reaction score
Thanks for all of your replys. I don't have the sleeve since I pulled the HU from my totaled Mitsubishi Galant which didn't need it. I bet I can dig one up though. I would imagine that places that install HU's have piles of them for when they install in vehicles that don't require their use. Just a thought...

I really like the idea of securing the sleeve to the HU itself to possibly slow down would-be thieves. Thanks for the suggestion.

jinstall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow here the local dealer sells you everything you need from the parts counter with DC part #'s on it. Well pretty much every dealer does that.

billforde

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Crutchfield will sell you installation accessories separately from having to buy a HU. When you buy a HU from them, you do receive everything including vehicle specific instructions.

Gordo

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I have that kit I got from Wal-Mart and I think that I can make it work for me once I get my hands on the sleeve piece that came with my HU. I think I threw it away when I originally installed the HU in my old car.

I talked to a stereo guy here in town and he seems to think that I can pick up a new sleeve at an installation shop he referred me to.

MinnesotaLiberty

Reaction score
I just installed a new stereo in my wife's Liberty. The installation kit does not seem to clear the factory trim. When I snap the trim back in, it seems like it's binding on the plastic around the deck. Does this plastic around the deck need to be trimmed or do I have it in backwards? It seems like the plastic is the same on both sides.